What do you think?

There are approx 100,000 homeless people in Aust, yet the liberal gov wants to spent 100 million dollars on a prebicite re gay marriage    .... Surely this money could be used ( better spent ) providing a home for our homeless?

Message 1 of 113
Latest reply
112 REPLIES 112

What do you think?

I imagine there are more than 100,000 gay people in Australia, so there is a potential for more votes! But personally, I would prefer if the money was spent on other needs, but not necessarily the homeless. However, I'll drop it here for fear of being branded a homophobic.

Message 2 of 113
Latest reply

What do you think?

lol at the term homophobic   ....  a phobia is a fear, it's not an opinion on whether homosexuals should be allowed to marry or not   ...... but I guess it sounds good in today's touchy feely, PC world    .... 

Message 3 of 113
Latest reply

What do you think?

I think when it comes to our elected represetatives, lack of money is no deterrent to doing what THEY want to do.

after all THEY have have a money tree called the taxpayer, need more money, go to the money tree.

makes no difference which lot are running the system they both are guilty of pilfering and grand theft.

although the libs used to be the tightwads until election time came around,but have decided to give up on that one.

Message 4 of 113
Latest reply

What do you think?

Ahhhh but apparently the money tree is bare where the homeless, the pensioners, those in very low incomes are concered

Message 5 of 113
Latest reply

What do you think?

Not to water down the point but lets just balance it a little.

Of course, there is a certain percentage of homeless not wanting assistance.

There are also some that have in the past abused and vandalised state housing.

Then there is the criminal element.

Perhaps a lot more can be done, however a very good process for prioritizing those most in need combined with those most deserving would be the starting point. So many tasks the government is burdened with, money is often not the hurdle.

image host
Message 6 of 113
Latest reply

What do you think?

I agree, there are people who dont/wont/cant look after the accommodation they have been provided. However, they represent a sm % of of total homeless population.

I guess we all prioritise the way the tax payers money should be spent, to me people having a home, food, power etc., is far more important then totally wasting money on a plebiscite 

Message 7 of 113
Latest reply

What do you think?

johcaschro
Community Member

I think that the LNP Govt don't want to support same sex marriage as they are scared they might alienate some of their more conservative voters. Therefore they don't want to have a vote in the house of Reps on this issue and they certainly don't want to support a conscience vote in case a sufficient number of LNP members vote in favour of ssm, thus embarrassing the got's stated anti position, (and for the same reason they don't want an ordinary vote as they would lose, courtesy of the minor parties and the Independant members).

So, they want to stuff around with possible postal voting by the electorate which would shift responsibility from them in the event of a positive response, wasting bucketloads of our money in the process.

I think they should just do the job for which they were elected and harden the f up and  vote in the House of Reps and maybe regain a little bit of the respect they've lost for not  taking the hard decisions as a govt should. As it is, they look weak and indecisive and are in danger of alienating those not so very committed LNP voters.

They're a bunch of self-serving seat warmers who will be booted out come the next election and they can't even go out having shown a little backbone whilst in govt. Shame!

Message 8 of 113
Latest reply

What do you think?

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

Not to water down the point but lets just balance it a little.

Of course, there is a certain percentage of homeless not wanting assistance.

There are also some that have in the past abused and vandalised state housing.

Then there is the criminal element.

Perhaps a lot more can be done, however a very good process for prioritizing those most in need combined with those most deserving would be the starting point. So many tasks the government is burdened with, money is often not the hurdle.

It seems the ones who have vandilised public housing still recieve public housing as they are deemed unsuitable for the private sector and regarded as high risk. The same applies to the " criminal element ''. The private landlords wont touch them with a barge pole, so they get public housing.

I have known quite a few homeless people over the years. Some simply have trouble accepting the boundaries and structure that helps society function. Others are afflicted with mental health problems. Often homelessness and mental health problems are compounded by substance abuse.

Theres no simple black & white answers, but in response to the OP. yes the money spent on a plebacite on gay marriage could be much better used in other ways. The simple answer is for the pollies to stop being so gutless and do the job we pay them for. Have a vote in parliment and enact legislation either allowing gay marriage or preventing it as per the vote. 

NOTE TO POLLIES - Stop dithering and make a decision. .......Show some leadership.......Thats your job.

edit - Appologies to Jo, read your post after pressing the send button.

Message 9 of 113
Latest reply

What do you think?

Looking like yet another buck pass by the Libs    ..... More time and taxpayers money  being wasted "trying" to get their plebiscite motion through the senate.

I also have known quite a few homeless people, most of them women, who were fleeing a violent domestic situation. None of them were drug addicts, drunks, vandals etc. Many of them did have a mental health problem, mainly caused by the mental and physical abuse they had been subjected to by their partner/s.  Not all homeless people are in this situation by choice.

Of course, there is no  b n w answers but atm, I dont see any answers happening, lotsa promises ( excuses ) but not much action on any important areas.

Message 10 of 113
Latest reply