What type of heating do you have at home?

thinking of getting a gas log heater but I need it to heat a big area.  Wondering what sort of heating everyone is ramping up at the moment, especially if you live in the colderst parts of Australia. Its so cold here in Melbourne atm.

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

old house, wood fire, damn great, had stacks of free wood on the property.

this house, split system, too damn expensive so try to run it as little as possible.

Message 2 of 29
Latest reply

Slow combustion wood heater. For the last 20 years I have gone along a remote railway line in a 4wd ute and collected the broken railway sleepers. They are ancient redgum and burn really well.

Its really peacful out there on a warm summers evening. Plenty of Kangaroos, parrots and the occasional echidna or family of baby emus. Unfortunately the line has recently been decommisioned and the trains dont run anymore. This means they dont break the sleepers so that firewood source is gone.

This year I collected stumps from the various hills properties where we run sheep, but have collected most of these now..  I chop the firewood with an axe, so it doesnt cost anything except some hard work.

I am thinking of building a saw bench and cutting up mallee from our remote property for next season. I enjoy stocking the firewood shed over the summer months when the wood is really dry. It burns a lot cleaner if stored dry and collecting wood helps to appease my hunter gatherer instincts.

Message 3 of 29
Latest reply

South Gippsland is even colder than Melbourne.

We have all electric, small Retirement Village unit. The heater is in the front lounge / kitchen area, there is no heating in the bedrooms and they feel like iceboxes in winter omce one opens a door. Got some small column heater to take the chill out of the bedrooms.

Winter electricity bill is astronomical. Woman Sad

Erica

Message 4 of 29
Latest reply

I'm in Melbourne.

We have gas ducted heating.

I don't suppose it is cheap but gee, it is nice to be warm.

Our house is over 30 years old now so we have wooden floors with the ducts in the floor. Our two dogs love it, they sit in the windows, right next to the ducts.Smiley Happy

My sister has ducted heating plus one of those gas log fire things in her lounge. It heats the room and has the ambience.

I love the look of a wood fire but I am old enough to remember my mum having to clean out the fireplace every morning when I was young, and bring in the briquettes & wood. She was ever so glad to change over to a gas space heater.

English friends who migrated to Melbourne went with hydronic heating when they did a renovation. Apparently it is efficient & economical and you can control the heating level in each room.

Message 5 of 29
Latest reply

We live in The Dandenongs in Melboure and it is freezing, but lovely and warm inside with ducted gas heating in every room.........it was already in the house when we bought it and last year we had a new one put in that blows cold air in summer.

Message 6 of 29
Latest reply

esayaf
Community Member
My wood heater is burnt out so I fill a bottle with hot water and stick that on the floor under a blanket
Message 7 of 29
Latest reply

Wood heating, imo its best form of heating around, we collect, saw, chop the firewood ourselves, too expensive to buy it these days ..... Also have split system in the lounge room and a wall mounted reverce cycle in the familty room as back up if needed 

Message 8 of 29
Latest reply

We have a gas heater in the lounge room, an air conditioner in our bedroom. and another one plus a small portable gas heater at the other end of the house for the library, Mr Elephant's study and two very small bedrooms. 

Message 9 of 29
Latest reply

has anyone seen the ad on telly where the woman is comming home on a cold day all rugged up, enters the house with the giant floor to ceiling glass windows the full width of the house. switches on the electric heating then begins taking clothes off till shes on the lounge in a t-shirt!

holy smoke, what temp did she select and what is her bill each winter? lol

Message 10 of 29
Latest reply