Different free HDD space

Hi , I noted a strange operating condition recently whereby hdd free space was reported at about 40% via Windows explorer : C drive properties and yet noted during drive defrag as about 5% - with performance typical of very high system storage used space.

Any plausable ideas why the difference in reported free space and should I be concerned.  

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Different free HDD space

go-tazz
Community Member

I would rely on the drive properties to tell you about the actual used/unused state of your drive,(maybe just

check your Disk Management in case your system has hidden partitions).

One explanation:

http://www.howtogeek.com/123268/windows-hard-drive-wrong-capacity/

If it's running slow maybe check the restore folder and delete some of the earlier entries,(whilst it's in defrag

it should only be telling you what portion is free of fragmented files and not total free space).

My files are automatically de-fraged weekly,(so I can't check the system setup).

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

Different free HDD space

Hi,  interesting drive capacity commentary , but that is to do with capacity loss after partition / formatting process compared with published storage capacity , a different issue.

As per properties subject computer should have processed tasks at expected speed . As per defrag analysis computer would not be expected to process tasks as expected.

Subject computer was slow to an extent which was strongly indictative of gross out of spec operational parameters

Like a shearer suddenly on the diet of a cat-walk model ...

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply