Do we or don't we?

We are about to get another electrical storm. For some reason our house, which is at the peak of the street, always seems to get zapped by lightening and we have a real problem with the modem and the phone lines getting fried. The big problem is that if we disconnect the computer and modem then we lose the Norton anti virus programme. We have been told by Norton not to disconnect the power. So it seems our choices are to keep Norton or to keep computer and modem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

We have had three modems replaced in the past 3 months and it is costing a fortune as neither warranty nor insurance cover a lightning hit.

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Do we or don't we?

yarmak
Community Member

Surge protectors offer little comfort and are not helpful as normally the first time a electrical surge hits them they are good for the bin.

Ask telstra to install network surge protection at your network boundary ie the part of the phone line that connects from telstras infrastructure to your infrasatucture on your house.I am not sure what these cost though but it never hurts to ask.

Norton have told you wrong.The best thing to do in an electrical storm is turn the modem off and unplug it.Why you would lose the norton antivirus I am not sure and makes no sense to me why this would happen.If this is the case I would seriously think about changing your antivirus.

I hope this helps a little

Dave 

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

Do we or don't we?

Thanks Dave. We do have the surge protectors but as you said they are literally blown apart and offer little or no protection. We have the paid Norton service but we had more success with the free AVG. On balance we have started to disconnect during storms. We Will speak with Telstra as they are generally helpful.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

Do we or don't we?

yarmak
Community Member

My pleasure.I too use free AVG and so far so good.

The only other way would be to use a cheap modem and bridge with a better quality router.Instead of a all in one.This way the modem would get the brunt of the force.Though this will mean you still need to fork out for a modem when you get struck and there is no garantee the router would be saved

Dave 

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply