Ebay issued a refund without my permission

I revently sold a Samsung tablet on Ebay for $330 this tablet had no cracks at all (There's photos as evidence on the Ebay listing) it was also wrapped up in multiple layers of bubble wrap. When the buyer has received this item they have obviously dropped it or done something else to crack the back of it. When I refused to issue a refund and accept a return they opened a case with Ebay and Ebay accepted a return and has authorised a refund despite me saying no. The first person I spoke to on the phone who was one of the rudest people I have ever dealt with told me that my only option was to reply to the email that Ebay sent me about the case, which I did and got no response. I am now going to be out of pocket for the Ebay and PAypal fees, and also have to pay return postage on an item that the buyer has damaged. I will definitely not be selling on Ebay again.
What are my options here for disputing this?
Who can I contact other that the ACCC in regards to this?

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Ebay does not need your permission to issue a refund when an item is not as described.

Did you ask for a photograph of the damage before refusing the refund?  Sometimes if a buyer is trying it on you will not hear any more from them.  They just want the item for nothing but will not deliberately damage it to get the refund.

If ebay was bought in to enforce the refund then you are unlikely to ever get the item returned.....the buyer has what he wanted....a refund and to keep the item.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

There is no way to get around your problem. eBay only cares to keep buyers happy and has little to no concern about wether you are right or not. You are better to agree to have the item returned and have something rather than nothing. If you sent the item registered and insured you might be able to lodge a claim with Australia Post all though technically the person recieving the package should be the one doing so. eBay is no longer a real Auction Site as it once was, it is now simply a huge Mall where they reap the benefits from sellers through listing fees, selling fees and from store front fees. Honest sellers take all the risks and when things go wrong like in your case 99% of the time eBay will find in favour of the buyer no matter what proof or argument is put forward. I've been down this path many times and each time I get the same emails with the exact same wording so don't feel bad, you are not alone in discovering you mean nothing to this behemoth we have all helped to create and happily keep on feeding.

Cheers

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

but then again the item might have arrived damaged?

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

The tablet was wrapped in about 5 layers of bubble wrap. I received it back the other day worse than the photos included and without the charger.
Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

It is all too late now but are you absolutely sure it was the computer you sent out?   Do you have a serial number of some way of identifying it for sure?

If he has pulled a swifty and returned a different item you could call his bluff and report him to ACORN for fraud if he refuses to repay you.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply