Laptop mark on screen, anyone know what it is?

There is a white mark on the screen that looks like a scratch, but it's under the surface of the screen (LCD). I tried to take a screen shot but it doesn't show on that, so that should tell me something but I don't know what :8}

I think it is getting a little longer as time goes by (approx 1 cm) and it shows clearer on light/white backgrounds. In fact you can't really see it at all on black backgrounds, but the lighter it gets the clearer it becomes. If you open the actual attachment you should be able to see the mark

It's a Macbook Pro and I've had it for over four years so I'm looking to upgrade soon. But I'm just really curious as to what it is and if it's worth fixing, can anyone help?

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Laptop mark on screen, anyone know what it is?

powerspcrepair
Community Member

It appears to be a surface scratch. Try running your fingernail tip on it and see if you can feel it. If so, you might want to look into finding a repair kit that will fix that. If it is not on the surface, rather that it is embedded, it might be a burn spot, too little to affect your vision on what appears on the screen.

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

Thanks for your response Powers, I definitely can't feel anything on the surface, how does a burn spot appear? Is that from something left on for too long, like an image being burned in?

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

powerspcrepair
Community Member

Not sure if it is from being left on too long, but I think it has something to do with a liquid inside it that speads out as if it has an air bubble. With that little area could be a little hot which would cause the liquid to separate. All laptop screens have special liquids in them. Same with flat screen monitors for computers. Not much you could do there to fix that though.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply