Looking for recomendations.

joa_ell
Community Member

Hi, I'm behind the times and out of the loop. My two desktops have been in storage since 2013. Now I have internet again. Now I'm facing the challenges of moving to both a newer operating system, and a newer, better more modern Computer. So many choices, I think I know what I can get by with, but then I'm for the most part an all or nothing kinda gal.

I did some online shopping and put together what I believe is the best PC that would still be practical, within reason. It would be around 800 give or take. That's just putting the minimum memory and hard drive in with plans to upgrade later, maybe using some things fron this older PC, just for now.

Then I went looking on eBay and stumbled across something that caught my fancy and has me considering a diffrent kind of computer, and am learning about stuff I never knew existed. However way outside of reason. These used and refurbished computers with so much more going for them in the way of cores, memory, and too much to list really, already put together for me, seem almost too good to be true at less than 600. As opposed to the 800 on that new build.

I believe both of these posibilites would be way more than what I need, but I'm stuck on one or the other. I came here for some input on what you think I should get, and am also looking for suggestions on how to go about getting Windows 10. Should I look for 4 Windows 7 install it and get the free upgrade, or buy it retail and avoid possible pitfalls that might come with a questionable OS? Thanks for the suggestions

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

I would go for the refurbished computer. Using parts from the earlier may see you with issues.

Of course just buying the box (computer box) and using monitor,keyboard n mouse you have is always a good option.

Many just upgrade the box.

Don't know enough about Win 10.

image host
Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Seems like your my only reply, why is this place so dead over here?

The seller of this one, 281742666233 has the option in their listing to make an offer. I offered 500 andthey never responded. Why would a seller put the "make offer" option in the listing if they aren't willing to deal? After making the offer and them not taking it, I'd kinda feel weird going the BIN of something like 563...

So the other option would be to make a 100 mile drive to Micro Center and get this.

Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz LGA 1150 Boxed Processor

ASUS Maximus VII Hero Socket LGA 1150 ATX Intel Motherboard

PNY XLR8 8GB DDR3-1866 PC3-14900 CL9 Desktop Memory Module

Antec VSK-4000E ATX Case

DVD-RW SATA Internal Optical Drive Refurbished. . . . total of 612, but all new stuff. Not used, refurbished or open box.

This computer has a really good power supply, a Theraltake 430watt, and although the hard drive is kinda small by today's standards, I can easally get by with it for now, least until a really good deal comes along. Those are easy upgrades. The processor and motherboard are the main things in a PC anyhow. I believe the above is around the best in a standard build. Just enough memory to get me going and I can always add more later. That's a single 8GB stick, there will be more slots to fill.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

@joa_ell wrote:

Seems like your my only reply, why is this place so dead over here?

The seller of this one, 281742666233 has the option in their listing to make an offer. I offered 500 andthey never responded. Why would a seller put the "make offer" option in the listing if they aren't willing to deal? After making the offer and them not taking it, I'd kinda feel weird going the BIN of something like 563...

So the other option would be to make a 100 mile drive to Micro Center and get this.

Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz LGA 1150 Boxed Processor

ASUS Maximus VII Hero Socket LGA 1150 ATX Intel Motherboard

PNY XLR8 8GB DDR3-1866 PC3-14900 CL9 Desktop Memory Module

Antec VSK-4000E ATX Case

DVD-RW SATA Internal Optical Drive Refurbished. . . . total of 612, but all new stuff. Not used, refurbished or open box.

This computer has a really good power supply, a Theraltake 430watt, and although the hard drive is kinda small by today's standards, I can easally get by with it for now, least until a really good deal comes along. Those are easy upgrades. The processor and motherboard are the main things in a PC anyhow. I believe the above is around the best in a standard build. Just enough memory to get me going and I can always add more later. That's a single 8GB stick, there will be more slots to fill.

There is no operating system with the offer one so you would need to factor that into it as well,(it's also in the
US so they may not post to Aus or it would be costly).
New should be hassle free and would probably be your better option,(it should then carry a warranty in case
of problems).

My current system is a basic $199 refurbished system that had 7 pro installed on it but I've since upgrade it to

10 for free,good.gif

I've also still got my original refurbished Dell computer that works but is a bit noisy now,(it's now 8 years old).

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Thanks, I got the new one, or parts to build it. But I'm not sure I like the cooling heatsink and fan that came with the processor, It's really cheap and looks like it can damage the motherboard. Thinking about an upgrade to a better one before putting the processor in and powering it up.

There's no OS with this one as well, My plan is to install win 7 and upgrade to 10. If I can get this thing built before the offer expires. It could take me awhile to get the right heatsink

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Had a DELL for many many years bought brand new from DELL but had to upgrade eventually so I purchased cheaply on ebay and they only ever lasted for 6 months,I suppose u get what u pay for. I purchased a brand new HP Processor with W8.1 installed, from The Good Guys $300, and have now installed W10 for free. So IMO I'll always buy from a B & M Store
Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

I've spent a good part of the past 30 years working with computers as a tech and I advise anyone to avoid Windows 8 or 10...they are a right royal pain in the bum ...Windows 8 was an epic fail and from the number of updates already issued to correct issues for WIndows 10 it would seem that Microsoft didn't learn from the WIndows 8 disaster .

Windows 7 is a good stable system and should do you fine.

A refurbished computer is usually just a second hand computer that has had the previous owners data removed from it and has been given a clean and polish (That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it though)

The big problem with any second hand computer is that you usually will not get the install discs required to restore the computer to a fully functional state if the hard drive dies.

If you go 2nd hand make sure the original install discs come with it along with the windows version it is running and there is a WIndows certificate of authenticity sticker that has the all important Product Key legible.

Buying a new computer gives you the opportunity to get install discs (sometines a bit extra is charged for them).

You cannot rely on restore software located on your hard drive...if the hard drive dies you lose the restore function.

If you can only get a computer without the install discs then the first thing to do is download and install Macrium Reflect (free) and make an image of your hard drive(s) which can be used to restore everything if your hard drive fails.

Store the disc image on dvds or a large capacity USB memory stick or on an external hard drive for when that inevitable hard drive problem bites.

Good luck

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

I have the discs for windows 7, from what I hear, I can upgrade it to 10, if I don't like it, then go back to 7. That"s the plan.

I considered water cooling for a time, but just went with a high end air cooler, bought it on eBay just today. I'm all self taught and can uasally figure things out eventually. However, getting windows 10 from the USB drive where I downloaded it, to a bootable disc is  past me, even with "Nero"  Start Smart program. I might just get the bootable disc for 10 on eBay too. Again, I already had the discs for 7.

But the truth is, I'm never gonna like any as much as XP. Wish it could last me forever. But I'm sure 10 will be fine in time when they work out some bugs and bring out a service pack or two.

Heres what I got. Are you read to have your mind blown?

. ASUS Maximus VII Hero Socket LGA 1150 ATX Intel Motherboard
. Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz LGA 1150 Boxed Processor
. PNY XLR8 8GB DDR3-1866 PC3-14900 CL9 Desktop Memory Module
. Antec VSK-4000E ATX Case
. Miscellaneous DVD-RW SATA Internal Optical Drive Refurbished

and the Zalman CPU cooler is in the wings. Don't have to use that cheap Intel one.

There is the matter of a power supply and hard drive, But because I went nuts on the motherboard and processor, getting the best ones I could find, Kinda ran out of money. I can use the power supply and drive from my old PC, not ideal, but should work for now. 

I have the motherboard in the case, was waiting for the cooler before installing the processor. I can use a speaker wire I suppose to ground myself to the case. Some have expressed concern over me using such a cheap case  with this motherboard and processor. I don't plan on taking a hammer to it, or running it over with my car. It's gonna sit in this desk. I plan on looking at the screen, so I don't care about all the fancy lights and do dads many go for in a  elobrate case. In fact I like the simple and plain design. Though I might opt for it to be alittle smaller if I could. It's deeper than my old PC case, and the old one sticks out alittle where it sits in this desk. I might have to mod the shelf in the desk for the thing to set in there right.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Hi , just wondering what you are going to use the computer generally for and how pedantic you are for the lowest time to complete a task and whether cost effectiveness is a major consideration.

Also are there other operational factors like very high ambient temperatures , very low noise requirement , high dust, physical space limitations , peer expectations etc

All specs of a particular system being the same , Professional System Builders can offer lower cost computers , despite the need to realise a capital gain , than home owners that acquire discrete components and assemble their own because the professional have access to low cost wholesale trade prices and bulk purchase discounts and tax concessions

re Windows 10 , my experience is that it has worked flawlessly , with less maintenance tasking , and is user intuitive around the desktop. Is surprisingly supportive of old system related devices , however older cpu's may not be supported 

There is a Windows 10 compatibility tool offered by MS  

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply