connection issues

yarmak
Community Member

Hi can anyone tell me if this is good or bad?

Down        up
DSL Noise Margin: 9.9 dB 10.1 dB
DSL Attenuation: 44.5 dB 28.1 dB

I am approx 2.2km from the exchange.No rim.My modem tell me I am getting 6Mbs.I used to get (slightly) more.7-8 usually.However these days it is dropping out more (last week 2.8!!  and while wireless on modem does not drop out too much the ipad and iphones have a hard time satying connected.Mostly this is the ipad.Laptop is not too bad. 

WAG160n Linksys.I already know this is a crap router but am wondering what I can do to make this better

thankyou

Dave

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

connection issues

heardata
Community Member

I'm assuming you talking about a modem attached to your home phone line, that then provides wireless to your devices at home, rather than a usb wireless modem that connects via mobile phone services to provide data to your computer. 

Do you live in an area with either increasing population and/or increasing takeup of DSL services?  Is it holiday season, with more people at home using their internet? That can mean more demand on existing services and a corresponding reduction in speed. Other possibilities include something affecting the phone line between the exchange and your home. Has there been rain? Maybe a pit somewhere is full of water.

And, are you referring to the mobile devices connecting to your wireless modem at home, or their connection to the telco? If the former, it does sound like the modem is the problem.

I have a Thompson wireless modem and I had to give all my devices fixed ip addresses to prevent it dropping out the third device to connect, anytime. It is still quite unstable when the devices connecting to it are changed, so I also restart it on a regular basis. 

I hope this was of some assistance.

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

connection issues

yarmak
Community Member

Yes a modem attached to my home phone line.It has been raining lately.I swapped around the phones I had and moved the panasonic cordless to another room.This has helped the problem heaps.The wireless from the linksys I fiddled around in the settings and so far the other devices are stable for the last couple of days.Fingers crossed this stays stable.

DSL Attenuation is now 38.While better is still too high for my liking.Will keep monitoring it I think

I appreciate your help thankyou for answering

Dave

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply