Car Buyer scam

curreeki
Community Member
Has anyone had offers to purchase your car from anybody from Malaysia stating they have looked everywhere for this type of car and want to purchase and ship to their country as they have just moved there from Australia they request your paypal address so they can deposit full amount to the account then they will arrange for someone to collect the vehicle and ship it to Malaysia... have had two very similar requests from two different women.
Sounds like a scam to me ???
Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: Car Buyer scam

simonvkasteren
Community Member

Hey people,

Just to bump up this topic again.

The scammers are still active.

Im from the Netherlands, they contacted me first by sending me a text, with the question about what is the lowest price and to reply them by e-mail which was stated in the text.

After a few e-mails back and forward, they wanted to transfer the money by paypal. I refused and said: only bank transfer. They accepted that and "told" me that they have transferred the money by paypal (Remember: I refused paypal and told them to use bank to bank transfer) anyhow I received a fake paypal e-mail in my junk/spam box.

Where they told me to make a deposit of โ‚ฌ700 as a shipping fee to the shipping agent to pick it up (using Western union). In order to release to full amount (car price plus shipping)

The whole time i wasn't sure about whether it was a scam or a real deal untill i discovered this topic.

Take care and watch out for them !

Message 21 of 37
Latest reply

Simon, no need to bump such an old thread as there have been some in much more recent times.  You can do google searches to get a lot more information than you will ever find on eBay forums/discussion boards.

This next bit of my post is not aimed at you in any way, it is something some of us do on these Australian boards to alert others about old threads so that members don't post any more on that thread.

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT . . . . . OP NOV 2010 !!!!

**tay**
Community Member

I though Grrr was back! :_|

Message 23 of 37
Latest reply

Hi just wondering if anyone that has been selling a car before has had a buyer say that they are getting the car transported to Darwin and the transport company will not take an unregistered car so they will send extra money for 3 months Rego. Just wondering if this is a legit buyer and if anyone has had the same message as I know you can transport an unregistered car and I haven't heard of 3 months rego before.
Message 24 of 37
Latest reply

Linda Heath from Malaysia - i only wisened up when she demanded i go to a Western Union and transfer $850 to her shipping agent. BEWARE!

Message 25 of 37
Latest reply

Have just advertised my car on Ebay - within two days have had two "offers" to buy from different people, sight unseen. One was too busy to call or inspect the car, the other was in New Zealand! Both wanted my Paypal account even though I didn't offer that as a payment option and wanted my address to send their "shipping agent" to pick up the car. One even offered $500 more to cover Paypal costs. Both only wanted replies by email. These scammers are obviously still around. The names they are using are GREG FOX & NEVILLE PORTER for the first one and ROBERT ELLISON for the second one.

Beware if you receive anything from these names, it is fairly obvious from the grammar that English is not the first language - so that should be your first clue that something is wrong.

Message 26 of 37
Latest reply

i got one from ROBERT ELLISON for my bike today, scammer

Message 27 of 37
Latest reply

Said elsewhere - explains why so many people sell their cars by the roadside - usually parked with multiple other vehicle sellers.  Can't blame them provided vehicle is parked safely, securily; though Councils usually like to raise revenue where they can.

Yay - for hard-up, self-imposed money starved local government in Australia!

Message 28 of 37
Latest reply

Thank you very much for posting. I have also been contacted by Robert Ellison. His email looked fishy and I was glad to find these posts. Have forwarded the details to the police.
Message 29 of 37
Latest reply

received this - Thanks for the swift response...I am OK with the asking price.due to the nature of my job and location...i will not be able to come for inspection,am a very busy type as i work long hours everyday,i have gone through your advertisement and i am satisfied with it.As for the payment..i will be paying you via the fastest and secure way to pay online(PayPal).I have a private courier agent that will come for the pick up after the payment have been made ...so no shipping included.You can now send me your PayPal email or you can receive a direct deposit into your bank account from paypal by giving me your account number and your bsb number  and the bank name and specify if it is checkings or savings account and paypal will credit your account immediately.so i can pay in right away and also include your address in your reply.If you don't have a paypal account, you can easily set up one...log on to www.paypal.com.au and sign up.all i really need from you is the exact details.Kindly delete the posting as am definitely buying it from you and it would be sad for me to make the payment only to be informed of the its sale.
Thanks. Benjamin W Wilson  - benwilson1@live.com.au
Message 30 of 37
Latest reply