Ford i6 into Jag?

Anyone heard of this being done before? Just an idea I'm toying with, I have a sweet running 4.0MPFI with 4 speed auto out of an EL, just sitting around looking pretty, looms, ECUs, the lot, and the possibility of a very cheap XJ6 with a very shagged 4.2 motor.

NO... not at all interested in spending a couple of grand copying the oh so tired textbook and ramming a 308 or 350 into it, so let's not go there ๐Ÿ˜›

The motors seem, outwardly, similar in size and shape. I'm thinking if anything, the Ford donk might stand a couple of inches too tall, but could be just an illusion. Naturally mountings would need to be fabricated. Just wondering if anyone knows of the transplant being done (or tried) anywhere before?

Yes, I have an opinion. No you don't have to agree with it. Yes I do have a right to it.
Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Ford i6 into Jag?

ive heard of it with a toyota straight six conversion http://writeonmotoring.com/features/japanese-jaguar

the jag six is a huge old thing, room shouldnt be a problem.

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

Ford i6 into Jag?

*throws an 'idea' up there somewhere

Signatures suck.
Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

Ford i6 into Jag?

If you can marry the Jag borg warner/ turbo300? gearbox to the ford engine without modifying the rr cross member then engineering will be easier.

My problem with any conversion using eb ed ef el 6s is the difficulty/frequency in doing headgaskets (with the stalky bit that comes up through) the inlet manifold, and the difficulty in access to the dizzy.

(these can be alleviated by fitting an aftermarket sensor lower in the coolant flow and using a set of "rule" dumb dumb auto cut out gauges. These can be fitted and calibrated so that the engine cuts out before a critical temperature or lapse in oil pressure occurs)

Basically the temperature senders are positioned too high on the head at the rr of the engine. There is a bypass hose at the rr when/if this hose fails an extremely small coolant temp rise is evident however as soon as the coolant leaks enough so that gas/steam rather than coolant is touching the sensor then the actual coolant temp is not recorded and returns to normal...sometimes cooler than normal.

Hence the sad sad story I have heard many many times from customers upon inquisition

"nup no temp rise....there was just this rubber burning smell and a clatter bang, then steam..... and it stopped.....waddya mean seized?? are you sure it is the headgasket??....are you sure that the rings are now soft???..."

yup,yup and yup

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

Ford i6 into Jag?

*should be*

actual coolant temp is not recorded and the gg returns to normal...sometimes cooler than normal.

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

Ford i6 into Jag?

Thanks so far guys. I don't hold much fear about heads/gaskets. Only trouble I've had in that respect so far is my own fault running insufficient coolant, just topping up too much with water and having a head eaten away behind #6.

Good thought there re using the standard box, though 4 speed would be nicer for cruising speeds. Most B/Ws run a common case to bellhousing pattern, so that might just work using an earlier 35/40 bellhousing. Something worth investigating.

Could even retro things further...... the Jag is a S2, carby model, so maybe an EA CFI manifold, + XF Weber (or aftermarket 4BBL?) and early dizzy. Would complicate wiring a lot less. Rid the setup of all computer nonsense then.

Though the bottom line is using what I have already available, keeping costs down.

Yes, I have an opinion. No you don't have to agree with it. Yes I do have a right to it.
Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

Ford i6 into Jag?

Too late.

It's sold. ๐Ÿ˜

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

Ford i6 into Jag?

a pity, it might have been a good project.

maybe try a different project, imagine how well this would go with ford power. ;\

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

Ford i6 into Jag?

:^O

Reworked Willy's??

I'd have thought more like a reworked German V2 TBH

Now...... where to raise a few more bucks. Spotted a quite tidy XJ40 with head problems for $1200

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

Ford i6 into Jag?

i think i put the wrong description next to that pic, the willys is on the bottom of the page . i dont mind it actually.

the other is a belly-tank contraption . 25mph was probably hair-raising enough .the XJ40 might be a bit heavier than the series 1 or 2 XJ6 , a real luxo-barge..:-)

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply