General gripe about Supercheap Auto.

xb50gs
Community Member

So Supercheap auto recently opened up in my town and I went for a wander, not really wanting aything in particular, just having a browse and a stickybeak to see how 'cheap' they really were.

As some of you know, I've worked in spares for about 20 years now and although not currently working due to an injury, I keep up to date with the industry with the hopes of returning one day.

Now first off, in my town there are 4 established auto part stores which have been in town at least 20 years each. Excluding Repco, the 3 other privately owned stores have staff who own modified cars, have all raced at one point or another and all live locally. Repco is the typical Repco who caters more for trade and is too expensive. However, Repco is right next door to Supercheap.

So, anyway, I have a look around and immediately notice things are not cheap! shock horror. Sure, their own brand stuff may be cheap, but its also crap. (I bought a jump starter for my ride on, so far its been returned 4 times in 6 months and it was $179 so not a 'cheap' one)

Example, I needed a battery for my 4wd. I noticed they had a Century N70ZZ and looked at the price. $229. I bought one from the local spares shop for $175 fitted. Supercheap quoted another $15 to fit it. My fanbelt for a Territory was $79.95. I picked up the same brand, same belt for $34.95.

They also didn't carry a common filter (Z115) for my Nissan and wouldn't supply one without me paying freight on it. Great, local spares have a Wesfil on the shelf for $8.95 which was less than the freight SC wanted to charge. Even in a Ryco SC was $49.95 and the local guys were about $22-$29.

They do have a good returns system, which is basically no questions asked, however, if you go to a shop that has knowledgable staff and you're supplied the correct item the first time, you don't need to return an item. I returned a drill to SC as it was faulty and basically I walked in said 'Hi, This doesn't work, its only about 6 weeks old' and I was told to go grab another one! I wonder how many people abuse the returns process!

Anyway, my point is if you do live in a town that has a Supercheap, don't believe the hype, or the name. Fact is, on a LOT of parts, they AREN'T cheaper and most of the staff don't know one end of a car from another. I was pointed in the direction of the catalogue when I asked for filters, and even when I asked if they had a Z115 they didn't know what it actually was.

Going Ford is the Going Thing.
Message 1 of 56
Latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

Re: General gripe about Supercheap Auto.

haha, agreed. most of the staff aren`t old enough to even have a license! I don`t even bother to ask them for help, unless I just can`t find the location of what I want to look at. Though on most items they are cheaper than Autobarn. And as far as there fitting goes, jeez! watching some kid fit wipers to a car and having less idea than the person buying them is cringeful! think they trained at the same school as Bunnings staff, :^O

Message 2 of 56
Latest reply

Complete waste of time if you're looking for "parts" as such. Almost everything I've tried to buy there could be "ordered in", and that's for EL Falcon, MJ Triton and Zook Vitara. If it's not for a Commondore, they don't carry it.

Plenty of toys (they call them tools) and pretty stuff on the shelves though.

Yes, I have an opinion. No you don't have to agree with it. Yes I do have a right to it.
Message 3 of 56
Latest reply

xb50gs
Community Member

The worst thing is the sheep in town think they're the greatest thing ever! Speaking with the shop owners, they've noticed a 20-30% drop in sales since SC opened. It beats me why our local council even allowed it, they claim they're all for small business and looking after locals, yet they let a mulit million dollar company open without a town forum or even asking for local opinion.

The local SC charges $15 freight on all parts that need to be ordered in and as you said, if its not a Commodore, its not on the shelf. They only had 1 x Z9 filter when I was in there and it was $19.95 but they're super cheap? huh? My ryco Z9's cost me $12.95!

Yeah most of their tools are total crap. Anything there that isn't a brand name is garbage.

Message 4 of 56
Latest reply

They bought out what was Rocca Bros here in Sadelaide, which in between became part of the Marlows group. So in order, Marlows bought them, then SC bought Marlows out.

When it was Rocca's, the stores were a great place to shop. Best prices anywhere, like a true parts supermarket with fast moving handyman stuff in aisles, with the more intricate stuff, engine internals etc (yes they carried the lot) behind the counter. Had experienced staff on hand, who most, usually just went and grabbed what you needed without having to look it up.

Never once had anything "ordered in" for Falcon, Valiant, Holden, Hunter, Mazda Bongo even!

Far cry from what it's become.

Yes, I have an opinion. No you don't have to agree with it. Yes I do have a right to it.
Message 5 of 56
Latest reply

sheila-post
Community Member

Supercheap Auto ?

We have Payless Shoes in USA.

Message 6 of 56
Latest reply

trained at the same school as Bunnings staff ๐Ÿ™‚

I've just been through the Bunnings recruitment process and can say that Bunnings specifically don't want staff with any experience. Applicants who were former tradies and those with hardware retail experience were discarded straight away. It's all about personality apparrently. Let's see personality tint your paint to the correct colour ๐Ÿ™‚

โ€œTwo things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.โ€
โ€• Albert Einstein
Message 7 of 56
Latest reply

Bit scared about the young pimple faced kids fitting

batteries and wipers in the "pits"-the car park outside

SCs and the--Barn.

I have worked in that trade since 1965.

Managed 4 large -big R stores.

Now working for an independant store the past 15 years.

No one from the store -fits anything.

Leave that to the local mechanics...................Richo.

Message 8 of 56
Latest reply

xb50gs
Community Member

Yeah agreed Richo.

I have done the odd day in a local store and we'll fit wiper blades, but thats the limit. Maybe a batttery if its just won't start and the person is stranded.

In the old days before side airbag seats etc, we used to fit seatcovers, I can even remember doing alarms and stereos in the back of our shop, even a cat converter and a few exhaust tail pipes.

Not now, too many insurances, liabilities etc. If we fit seat covers and the don't line up properly for the airbags to deploy, guess who'd be sued if the car was crashed and insurance denied a claim.

I've seen SC staff fitting tool boxes to the back of utes etc, they'll be great when the piddly little bolts snap and it falls off on the highway. I think they also charge a fitting fee. Had a bloke saying one Sat while I was waiting for some paint that they were going to charge $15 to fit some wiper blades to his Honda or something, the kid got out there and couldn't figure out how to take the blades out of the 'thingies' so he said he couldn't do it. My mate went out and replaced both the heads as it was quicker, easier and cheaper to do that, for nothing.

Message 9 of 56
Latest reply

Hi Beagles-even scarier-the fitting toolboxes in utes!

Im Lucky-the store i work for has slowly moved

away from -seat covers-headlight protectors--

baubles and trinkets.

Hard parts are the go!

My problem is the younger blokes working there-

put discs on the puta and throw out the catalogues

from under the counter:_|.......................Richo.

Message 10 of 56
Latest reply