General gripe about Supercheap Auto.

xb50gs
Community Member

So Supercheap auto recently opened up in my town and I went for a wander, not really wanting aything in particular, just having a browse and a stickybeak to see how 'cheap' they really were.

As some of you know, I've worked in spares for about 20 years now and although not currently working due to an injury, I keep up to date with the industry with the hopes of returning one day.

Now first off, in my town there are 4 established auto part stores which have been in town at least 20 years each. Excluding Repco, the 3 other privately owned stores have staff who own modified cars, have all raced at one point or another and all live locally. Repco is the typical Repco who caters more for trade and is too expensive. However, Repco is right next door to Supercheap.

So, anyway, I have a look around and immediately notice things are not cheap! shock horror. Sure, their own brand stuff may be cheap, but its also crap. (I bought a jump starter for my ride on, so far its been returned 4 times in 6 months and it was $179 so not a 'cheap' one)

Example, I needed a battery for my 4wd. I noticed they had a Century N70ZZ and looked at the price. $229. I bought one from the local spares shop for $175 fitted. Supercheap quoted another $15 to fit it. My fanbelt for a Territory was $79.95. I picked up the same brand, same belt for $34.95.

They also didn't carry a common filter (Z115) for my Nissan and wouldn't supply one without me paying freight on it. Great, local spares have a Wesfil on the shelf for $8.95 which was less than the freight SC wanted to charge. Even in a Ryco SC was $49.95 and the local guys were about $22-$29.

They do have a good returns system, which is basically no questions asked, however, if you go to a shop that has knowledgable staff and you're supplied the correct item the first time, you don't need to return an item. I returned a drill to SC as it was faulty and basically I walked in said 'Hi, This doesn't work, its only about 6 weeks old' and I was told to go grab another one! I wonder how many people abuse the returns process!

Anyway, my point is if you do live in a town that has a Supercheap, don't believe the hype, or the name. Fact is, on a LOT of parts, they AREN'T cheaper and most of the staff don't know one end of a car from another. I was pointed in the direction of the catalogue when I asked for filters, and even when I asked if they had a Z115 they didn't know what it actually was.

Going Ford is the Going Thing.
Message 1 of 56
Latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

Re: General gripe about Supercheap Auto.

welcome back

Message 31 of 56
Latest reply

There franchised so any clueless twit can buy one....

Message 32 of 56
Latest reply

Firstly Super Crap Autos,  have a right to open as many stores as they like in any area they like as long as it complies with council regulations.  Its a free country.

Secondly  If you dont like them dont go there they will soon make there decision if its viable to stay.

Thirdly They always open next door to repco or as close as they can it makes business sence.

The rest is irrellivant and is just a load of hot air.

Message 33 of 56
Latest reply

I have no choice but to listen to the auto places, I don't know the first thing about cars, so wish i did :_|

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 34 of 56
Latest reply

Ask 1sweetap6v8. He knows everything.

Or me, but I know nothing.

Still 8 ahead of you. I thought we'd cross over at about 520 FB.

Message 35 of 56
Latest reply

Ask 1sweetap6v8. He knows everything.

Or me, but I know nothing.

Still 8 ahead of you. I thought we'd cross over at about 520 FB.

Think I would ask you any day of the week Dave and twice on a Sunday.

Sweet isn't so sweet at times, so not lining myself up for a thrashing.

Yes - I have been keeping an eye on our little stars - I will catch you you know :-x

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 36 of 56
Latest reply

nqcowboysfan
Community Member

With their prices not being cheaper? They price beat. They even price beat on trade prices so not sure how they can be more expensive. They don't charge to fit wiper blades so if the store where you are said "$15 per blade" contact head office and tell that store is charging for it. The only reason you would have to pay extra when you return something after a sale is if you don't have your reciept. And that's if you want a refund not for an exchange. Exchange is like for like so it's no skin off their nose what price you paid. If you want money back then of course it matters. And  if all this is true their HO is great. Just a quick call and you'll be happy as a pig in poo. Try that next time ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 37 of 56
Latest reply

Have you revived this thread so you can celebrate its first birthday on the 11th ?

Tramps like us,
Baby we were born to run....

Bruce Springsteen
Message 38 of 56
Latest reply

Does everyone WHINGE

Message 39 of 56
Latest reply

Interesting...

- I was searching the web for batteries, then this thread popped up on screen... 

What the heck, I can ad to the comments about SC. I purchased a BBQ gas cylinder from the Fyshwick store on a cold Saturday morning a few weeks back. 

The marked price was $20 exchange, great! I asked for one. A guy fetches one, then rings up $40 or so (can't remember exactly). I said - 'hey but they're $20'? - pointing to the sign out the front...

After my question, some other guy came (SC 'manager type' guy) - grumpy as hell, swore F&%$'n such'n such... then swore about some staff member not changing a sign..?

I don't really care if he's had a bad day - but, he shouldn't swear in front of customers... or put down other staff, very unprofessional...

- I avoid SC now.

I don't like going there.

Message 40 of 56
Latest reply