Help needed with timing belt replacement.

Hi, hubby was quoted $1400 bucks to replace the timing belt on his mazda. After he picked his jaw up off the floor and muttered something about hell freezing over and the placement of articles out of the suns reach, he has bought the belt and tensioner pulley, pulled the radiator out, taking the cover off and is now stumped.

Can anyone please find a diagram showing how to line up the marks on the pulleys.

It is a WE-3  3 litre tdci from the mazda bt-50/ford ranger 2006 -2011 models.

I can find diagrams for the 2.5 litre and previous models but not the 3 litre twin cam model.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Pimpy I think you might get more help on CS with this problem.  There are several posters over there that seem to know what they are talking about when it comes to cars/motors.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Hi Lyndal, I know the lads from CS drop in here from time to time.

And the mods would probably move it to here anyway, they like doing stuff like that. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Pimpy, try it over on CS...it is not an ebay related problem so really the Mods should have put it over there anyway.

And I haven't seen the CS posters over here for a while.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Nah that's ok. We've decided it's too McTechnical  and will fork out the money for a mechanic to do it. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Best idea Pimpy it is an interference engine. ie one slip up and engine is cactus. You need to make a tool to hold the cam wheels just on VV spring compression.There are marks (lines) on the rr of the cam pulley wheels.

So easy to FU not worth the risk. I will post a pic tomorrow maybe if I get a chance for next time

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Pimpy--Viewmont is right--not a job for the home mechanic.

Just thinking $1400.00 sounds a bit dear.

You have purchased some parts already---shop around for

a competent mechanical workshop for a cheaper labour cost.

Was the price quoted from a Mazda dealer?

Hoping for a good outcome......................................................Richo.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Hi all, thanks for the replies.

we spoke to the ford mechanic back in Walgett and he said it can be a messy job, sometimes needing a second pair of hands to hold the pulleys in the right place, and apparently the tensioner thingamyjig needs to be replaced at the same time. SO we'll let them do it.

The mazdas have been good utes but they are are bugger to do anything to because everything is a big secret. Even trying to find out what oil to put in the gearbox and transfer case was a major undertaking.

mechanic-smiley-emoticon.gif

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Look up information under ford & a $2s odd wood clamp from any hardware shop will hold the cams for you.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply