Question about the age of cars.

If a car is built in 2012, but has a compliance date of April 2013. What year is it?

When we bought my busbands car a couple of years ago, we bought it as a 2011 model, but all the insurance companies insisted it was 2010 because it was built in 2010.

Today I bought a car which they told me was a 2013 model, but according to the paperwork, it was built in 2012.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

I would have thought the compliance plate as that is when it was finished.

Maybe check the Australian Design Rules and see if there's anything in there.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

This is a common question, Manufactures quite often run out the year before model the next year or as with Nissan up to 3 years after production.

If your car has a compliance plate with the year 2010 its a 2010 model that is the year it was manufactured ,  2011.   is its first year of registration. That's when the car would have been sold and registered for the first time.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Many cars are finished built in Oct, Nov, Dec 2012  but are the next years model, 2013 and don't land here until 2013. Therefor 2013 model.

If cars are built june, july, 2012 etc but are 2012 model they can sometimes sit in a car lot and first registered 2013. They are a 2012 model.

It simply depends on the which model from manufacturer it is not necessarily build date. Usually it's the manufacturer that can tell you which model based on the VIN chassis number.

Some will show as 2013 MY 2012 (Manufacture year).

image host
Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Many cars are finished built in Oct, Nov, Dec 2012  but are the next years model, 2013 and don't land here until 2013. Therefor 2013 model.

Thats what I thought. You'd think you could tell by the features or shape which can change from year to year.

Its like there's some kind of weird blurry line instead of a clear cut distinction from year to year.

I wonder if I tried to sell my new car next year whether I'd have to advertise it as 2012 or 2013.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Some cars their years don't visibly change but maybe a small technical detail is altered.

No matter when you sell of course it will always be the model year the manufacturer deem it to be.

Mine is plated built Dec 2012 but when looking up VIN number for parts with dealers, they say it's a 2013 and it's registered as a 2013.

image host
Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Thanks kopes, you gave me the idea to look it up on vicroads. According to their details its a 2013 model.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Complianced date is the one that sticks. It is the date the entire vehicle is actually "completed".

Dad's Lancer for example, built October 1994, Compliance plated Feb 1995, is registered and recognised as a 95 model.

Very slow boat journey for that one 😐

Yes, I have an opinion. No you don't have to agree with it. Yes I do have a right to it.
Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Thats what I thought. You'd think you could tell by the features or shape which can change from year to year.

Been a long long time since new models were released as per calendar year. Even as far back as the "63" model EJ Holden, they were introduced mid 62, and EHs first rolled out in 63, known as the 64 model.

Yes, I have an opinion. No you don't have to agree with it. Yes I do have a right to it.
Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

mebbe your ins. company is trying to shortcut you in the event of a market value payout figure, punch

l'd change ins. companies if i were you or at least inquire to other insurers, because i believe whatever year is written on the compliance plate, that ss the year of the car 

Signatures suck.
Message 10 of 11
Latest reply