Replacing side mirror

It's on the passenger side and broken at the neck, stuck with tape at the moment which keeps unsticking despite I'm using Gorilla Tape.  . .  I drive a Toyota Echo 2005 but am wondering if I have to replace this unit with

my model one,   or can I get a used from a wrecker's or somewhere of a different car (*thus cheaper). 

The glass is okk but I also want the convex replaced with flat, so probably considering a new (used) unit. 

Anyt tips welcome as i know nothing about these things and couldn't do it myself unfortunately. 

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Replacing side mirror

Hi, Needs to be your model car for it to be roadworthy. Attaches properly in other words.

The wreckers probably have them for 20-30 dollars but I found someone in Brisbane that sells the new ones.

Just check it's the right model with the seller first. It's 65.00 free postage.

http://pages.ebay.com.au/services/services-seller-help.html

image host
Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

Replacing side mirror

All the seller needs is the VIN from the plate under the bonnet to make sure it's the right model.

image host
Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

Replacing side mirror

Hi Kopes,

Would that place in Qld be

mirror4cars.com.au?

(Your link just put me onto the help page)

Anyway I've written to them.

But they may not be able to get me a flat mirro as I think the Echos come with the convex,

so would I just go to a glazier to get the flat mirror cut and stick it on?

The actual assembly I'll get done by a mechanic. 

I just can't get used to the convex and it's made me nervous lane changing. 

Thanks for your help, much appreciated. 

Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

Replacing side mirror

Sorry, hahaha, I had the wrong link saved as copy n paste. Silly me.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Toyota-Echo-Hatchback-1999-2005-Electric-Door-Mirror-Left-Hand-Brand-New-...

image host
Message 5 of 22
Latest reply

Replacing side mirror

cq_tech
Community Member
If you buy brand new or non-genuine, it will come in black and unpainted, so be prepared to pay another $100 or so to have it painted to match the colour of your car. The other alternative is to buy it 2nd hand from a wrecker, taken from a car which is the same colour as yours. That's what I had to do with my Toyota Camry last year. Cost me $65 for one with the same colour code, and only took me about 10 minutes all-up to fit the thing (with Toyotas, you simply pry off the inner cover, undo the 3 x nuts which retain the mirror, unplug the electrics, then do the reverse to fit the replacement).
Message 6 of 22
Latest reply

Replacing side mirror

No worries, kopes       Smiley Happy  Anyway that one is electric but I have found a few non-elec on ebay though I don't know yet if they are flat glass.  .

Bill  the mirrors on the Echo are black so painting isn't a problem. 

Bil it would take you 10 minutes to fix it but me I reckon about 2 hours at least, lol. 

Message 7 of 22
Latest reply

Replacing side mirror

thanks again Kopes,  I've got a couple on Watch now and they're not dear are they.    I'll have a look on Youtube too to see how to

attach as they have a lot of such videos there. 

Message 9 of 22
Latest reply

Replacing side mirror

Ask the sellers if they have the flat mirror version and as cq said it's just a matter of taking off the inside panel of the mirror and 3 screws holding it in place, in most cases.

You don't even need to worry about the electric cable for the manual one. Smiley Happy

image host
Message 10 of 22
Latest reply