Selling a boat to a buyer who changed their mind

jmn696
Community Member
I sold a boat on eBay, it was arranged for the buyer to view within a fortnight however he never showed, we took a 50% deposit and now 60 days later he has viewed and claims its not worth what he bid, we did not string them along and provided loads of photos am I obligated to refund his deposit? We move in two weeks and so don't have time to resell and I'm not willing to take less as he was the one who committed to the bid without asking any specific questions. Ive given him the choice to pay the rest and take the boat or walk away and lose his deposit, but don't want to violate any eBay rules I might have missed
Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Was it agreed the deposit was non refundable?

If the item is exactly as described and he did not ask question prior to bidding then maybe refund less the fees incurred as you have had to pay them and store costs.

How did they pay the deposit?

If it was bank dep then you would need their bank details to refund.

If it was paypal and if they funded the payment with a credit card they could do a charge back to get their money back.

In the end it is your choice and you are not violating any ebay rules by not refunding and it is past the 60 days for them to leave feedback.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Hang the ebay rules....do you have any morals?

You took a very large deposit for an item that was pick up only.  No buyer is obliged to go through with a transaction after they have inspected the item.  It is also not usual to hand over any money before inspecting the item.

While the buyer may have mucked you around in delaying the inspection it does not give you the right to hold them to ransom.  There may be an argument for withholding some money for your fees, but the rest of the deposit should be refunded immediately.

Otherwise you may find the police on your doorstep.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

jmn696
Community Member
Ok thanks
Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Well by law a deposit is non refundable if the buyer decides not to go ahead with the purchase but this would have to of been put into writing and signed by the buyer.The buyer should have also only handed over 10% deposit not 50%,so IMO refund less fee charges.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply