Selling number plates (newbie)

frogsnack1
Community Member

Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice please, possibly from those who have done this before, regarding selling personalised plus number plates on eBay. Have been a frequent buyer of general items, but have never sold. Am I right to say that I pay an 'insertion fee', and then pay some type of percentage of the total sale price received at the end (providing they sell of course!). Or am I completely wrong, and will this entire process be free, as I've read you get to sell 30 items per month at no cost? Please forgive my ignorance, I'm completely new to this entire selling process, and would appreciate any advice or info.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

New sellers have selling limits and might not be able to take advantage of 30 free listings per month until they have established themselves as a seller i.e. sold some items and received some +ve feedback to show that they a genuine seller.

If the plates you are thinking of selling have a high value you may struggle at first.

Final value fees are 7.9% (max fvf is $100 for a listing) and if your buyers pay by PayPal you will pay another 2.4% + 30 cents.  You should factor in fees of around 10% for items up to $1250.

frogsnack1
Community Member

Appreciate your answer, I'd read a little about the information appearing on eBay's selling FAQ's, but your response spelt it out a bit clearer for me ๐Ÿ™‚ You're right, it might be a bit of a struggle, so I might wait to sell a few other items to raise the +'ve ratings first. I guess I'd be doubtful of buying a big ticket item from a newbie. Again, thanks for your response.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

xb50gs
Community Member

You may not be aware, but you legally CANT sell numberplates.

In most states, they are the property of the authority who hands them out.

In NSW you pay a fee each year to display them, or lease them from what was the RTA, before they changed the name. The plates are not your property and as such, cannot be sold.

If you want to transfer plates from one of your cars to another, you can, and if you want to transfer plates between relatives, I believe you can, but if you sell them to me, you need to hand them in to the RTA and while they're handed in, a third party can search online for the plates and if they're handed in and the buyer has not completed the paperwork to order them, someone else can get them.

Also, if you sell them, the RTA can refuse to reissue them.

I'm using RTA as i'm in NSW so that is my local registry but check with yours before trying to sell anything.

Going Ford is the Going Thing.
Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

No idea what state OP is in (and I'm sure they have their answer by now anyway) but I know that in QLD once a plate is issued by PPQ then it is yours to do whatever you want with it, including sell it. PPQ actually hosts auctions where you can consign your plate for them to sell.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

You may not be aware, but you legally CANT sell numberplates.

Personalised or custom plates CAN be sold.

There is a special form you get from the authority to transfer them.

You can then register them or have them on hold unregistered.

image host
Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

I am sure the OP will be thrilled to receive all of this information nearly 3 months later if he ever comes back to read it......

TCT
Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

๐Ÿ˜ฎ   Thanks deja, didn't even notice.

image host
Message 8 of 8
Latest reply