The EH unbuild rebuild thread.. out with the v6 and in with the trick 202 and celica box

So.. I have been helping a friend with his written of v6 EH. We are getting to the business end of the build so I thought I would put up some pics  The EH premier stationwagon...went like a demon but stopped like a fixed wheel pushbike Smiley Indifferent and he flipped it on a notorious Viewmont corner . (that those WRC cars will be hurling around again at 200ks plus in 8 weeks incidentally) with a full load of grog and 20 litre drums of old fish and chip oil that was destined for Viewys and frogs hollow "great bio fuel caper"

..... Guess what 1960s rubber.headlining,trim etc and modern vegetable oil do not mix...surprisingl

... He let the registration lapse so that a new Auvis inspection and reengineering was required.

He was originally going to replace the cactus subframe with another cut subframe, reinstall the v6 with a body stiffening kit. We also needed to change the front discs to ventilated ones (HQ or LH) to meet the new AUVIS regs which also required caliper change.....think lots of dollars... even before the engineer had his crack.......

So at his request  I notched the subframe for the v6 sump then reinforced it jigged and fitted the steering rack brackets for an LH rack, cut off the HR mounts and fitted plates to take the v6 mounts ..... about 12 months ago....... No work since....

He has decided now to go with a livened up black 202 and celica 5 speed ( which hopefully will usurp the engineers reprt requirement....... which means I need to fill the notch and remove the LH brackets and v6 mounting backets. Presently the cab is completely stripped and on a rolling trolley as we get it ready for paint

some pics of the EH sans subframe and front end with the buick v6 still insitu  Image0691.jpgImage0692.jpg

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 1 of 70
Latest reply
69 REPLIES 69

The EH unbuild rebuild thread.. out with the v6 and in with the trick 202 and celica box

any demand for Premier wheel trims ? i have 2 sets of aluminium ones out there, as well as some odds and ends, nasco aerial and heater motors and fans.

Message 21 of 70
Latest reply

The genuine ones are hard to get. premier heater knobs centre console bakelite bit bring good money.

Des has been doing a fair bit of buying and not too much physical work Some  pics of  the progress the body is winched up at the moment doing some patches under the front.

Image0884.jpg

guard quarters were a bit iffy

Image0885.jpg

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 22 of 70
Latest reply

Image0886.jpg

so we got some new ones and welded them on.

a pic of the engine mount jig we made to correctly set up the new  crossmember engine mounts on the HR front end for height

and angle.

It is important to get the "slope of the engine somewhere betweeen 3 (optimal) and 6 degrees (max) so that the tail shaft uni joints do not exceed their operating angle and chop out.

The jig is pictured on the donors car EH standard front end

Image0881.jpg

The top green plate is aligned  horizontally with the round insulation washers on the lower front  anchorages and we marked it

vertically with the same insulator hole centre that gives us a reference point that is valid on both crossmembers..........

or so the theory goes Smiley Indifferent

Message 23 of 70
Latest reply

Image0881.jpg

woops tiny editing faux pas there. preparing the subframe for paint below

Image0882.jpg

Message 24 of 70
Latest reply

Its coming along great Dave-still some barked knuckles and tears to come.

More pics as you progress......................................Richo.

Message 25 of 70
Latest reply

Image0894.jpgfirewall is now straight and painted.. we have been a bit slack as we had some preparation to help with for the Rusty Iron rallyImage0896.jpg subframe is painted and has been fitted

Message 26 of 70
Latest reply

Image0897_1.jpgfrigging bits everywhere, standard EH diff is now reassembled, reconditioned painted and in the car along with some reset rear springs and a 27 mm rear sway bar... pics later

Message 27 of 70
Latest reply

Image0898.jpgrepaired the notchout for the v6 sump in the crossmember see earlier pics. did not have the original crossmember m,ounts so I fabbed someImage0900.jpg plus the obligatory lashings of GMH chassis black... that should fool the blueslipper... or so the theory goes

Message 28 of 70
Latest reply

Image0901.jpgwhizz went the grinder,........ zip went the spring, ..an inch closer to the ground....... you lovely little GMH black thing  Image0972.jpgThi shot wa sponsored (and powered) by VB and Bundy... hic sorry about the quality

Message 29 of 70
Latest reply

Image0975.jpgIt's nearly bling time.... looking at about 2k worth of chroming./... I completely disassembled the door handles, the front name panel. The  alloy premier scratch panels got some chrome. The premier bonnet and gaurd windspliteers are worth about 1500.00 secondhand pre chrome... If you happen to see any at a garage sale cheap.Image0976.jpg

Message 30 of 70
Latest reply