What happens if you put petrol in a diesel car?

๐Ÿ˜

Message 1 of 69
Latest reply
68 REPLIES 68

Re: What happens if you put petrol in a diesel car?

**tay**
Community Member

Can you confirm that you should avoid at all costs the petrol with ethanol and not fall for the cheaper price. I was told that it would decrease engine life considerably.

I've been told by a few mechanics not to use that petrol. I pay the bit extra and get Premium. But I like to look after my car, it's taken me quite a few years to be able to afford a newer model..

Message 41 of 69
Latest reply

Petrol and diesel are both hydrocarbon based and will mix instantly.

pimpy I dont know how reliable this info is but it sounds reasonable that adding oil to make up for the lack of lube from the petrol is good.  read this artical http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_do_you_do_if_you_have_accidentally_put_petrol_in_diesel_car

yeah thats good for the theory here are the backyard facts. We use stale 92 ethanol petrol as an additive to make biodiesel instead of methanol.. (cheapskates palace here) for older stationary engines and older tractor engines it works ok and " a hot mix" aids cold weather startup on biodiesel... (think blowtorch under the belly of the tank to turn 'grease back into fluid) like

James Bond's martini  "it is better shaken but not stirred" and you guessed it it separates a little when left to its own devices.

.....Any drums of biodiesel you create using this method require constant up ending

Google antiknock agent,  and polar solvent Petrol just aint all hydrocarbons.

It is the antiknock agent in petrol that causes the diesel common rail ecu and sensors to pick up "false readings" which then adjusts the amount and timing of diesel injection (because it wants to supply more lubricant to lower combustion temperatures ie. it supplies more fuel lubricant with advanced injection timing to cool cylinder combustion temps by leaving diesel "residue' on the cylinder walls after ignition) but because of the contamination this actually leads to greater friction (ie more heat).... because the petrol works as a degreaser on the cylinder liner walls.

The excess heat makes the mating metals expand past their tolerance... then they bind and faluire occurs

Google common rail diesel and DPF diesel particulate filter.........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_particulate_filter

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 42 of 69
Latest reply

I've been told by a few mechanics not to use that petrol. I pay the bit extra and get Premium. But I like to look after my car, it's taken me quite a few years to be able to afford a newer model..

very good advice. The deposits found inside the engine  are akin to the residue left after heating/boiling a kilo of sugar in a pot until all that is left is the black residue (like the mess found when making toffee but losing track of time :_|)..... and then reheating  that same pot ....over and over again... that "mess" would test out the best washing up scouring pad

http://www.hi-flow.com/HP016aOS.html

Message 43 of 69
Latest reply

yeah thats good for the theory here are the backyard facts. We use stale 92 ethanol petrol as an additive to make biodiesel instead of methanol.. (cheapskates palace here) for older stationary engines and older tractor engines it works ok and " a hot mix" aids cold weather startup on biodiesel... (think blowtorch under the belly of the tank to turn 'grease back into fluid) like

James Bond's martini  "it is better shaken but not stirred" and you guessed it it separates a little when left to its own devices.

.....Any drums of biodiesel you create using this method require constant up ending

Google antiknock agent,  and polar solvent Petrol just aint all hydrocarbons.

It is the antiknock agent in petrol that causes the diesel common rail ecu and sensors to pick up "false readings" which then adjusts the amount and timing of diesel injection (because it wants to supply more lubricant to lower combustion temperatures ie. it supplies more fuel lubricant with advanced injection timing to cool cylinder combustion temps by leaving diesel "residue' on the cylinder walls after ignition) but because of the contamination this actually leads to greater friction (ie more heat).... because the petrol works as a degreaser on the cylinder liner walls.

The excess heat makes the mating metals expand past their tolerance... then they bind and faluire occurs

Google common rail diesel and DPF diesel particulate filter.........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_particulate_filter

"with advanced injection timing to cool cylinder combustion temps"

Woops should be

with retarded injection timing to cool cylinder combustion temps

Message 44 of 69
Latest reply

One thing  92 Biodiesel definitely  does in a vintage oil engine

.........blow awesome "smoke rings"

Message 45 of 69
Latest reply

.........blow awesome "smoke rings"  :^O

well the toyota didn't do a long trip as I feared, It has only done local stuff so I offered to drain the fuel out and replace it but the boss said not to worry about.

I have tried to explain to him that it will stuff the engine and possible the whole fuel system but he doesn't seem to believe me. probably coz I'm a female and he's an obstinate, arrogant git.

So I throw my hands in the air. And when it blows up I'm not going to take responsibilty for it.

I may move to W.A though, and find a new job

Message 46 of 69
Latest reply

A couple of litres in a tank SHOULDN'T damage it, so he's probably right.

Message 47 of 69
Latest reply

thanks for coming back to tell us what happened Pimpy

well ... what hasn't happened yet.  fingers crossed.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 48 of 69
Latest reply

LOL

Firstly  Vehicle type and engine family would be a great help.  Most deisels will tolerate LOW percentage of petrolium mixed in with diesel. Infact it is common for LARGE deisels to have a litre put in every second tank  of deisel. It cleans the lines injectors and pump of gumming residue.

Works a treat. 

BUT thats only a maximum of 1 litre in a 200+ litre tank every second tank full at most a minumim of 400 litres to 1 ltr. Your 3ltrs  in with 50 ltrs is pushing the boundies.

You may get away with it in the short term and think it had no effect,  BUT I can garrentee you the life expectancy of that engine will be reduced.

In other words i doubt it will have an immediate effect that is noticable but damage will occure as slight as it will be it will effect the bore liners piston rings and pistons and reduce the life of the engine. The amount it reduces it is variable depending on the engine family it is.

Do this, drive the vehicle very short distances and turn it of as soon as possible to prevent heat transfer building in the bore area due to the fuel being far to high octane. 

And when turning be vigorous, or when you can wiggle the steering  side to side and mix the fuel in the tank as much as possible so that it isnt as concerntrated. When you get to half tank fill it up again and keep doing what i said until your near empty. Thats the lazy mans way around it.

But my advice is simply drain it and refuel with non contaminated fuel.

Most diesels have a bung plug in the tank to make it easy to drain for this very reason, people make mistakes.

There is another thing you can do and that is watch the temp gauge, If it goes just the smallest amount higher than it normally does turn it of immediatly and let it cool.

I doubt very much you will blow the engine in the short term at the ratio you have given, But long term damage is happening. 

Think of it like this , your piston rings and pistons and bores are what will be effected buy this contamination , So if you have a deisel that is capable of 500 thousand miles which most older models will do easily, buy running contaminated fuel you dont just risk the engine doing serious damge in the short term you most definatly reduced its milage from 500 thou to 400 thou.  Metal will be removed from precious components.  If its not your car and the boss dont care just drive it. It will be fine he will trade it in and some poor bugger will buy it and be lumbered with it.

I will also tell you that if the engine is later than 2004 Japanese model you also run the risk of petrol effecting the deisel pump and injector seals as most are not petrol resistant on these models so if you see deisel dripping from the pump in the next few months you can garrentee it was the petrol. 80 and 100 series Toyota,s are common for this and you dont even need petrol to effect them just a deisel fuel additive will cause it.

Message 49 of 69
Latest reply

I will also tell you that if the engine is later than 2004 Japanese model you also run the risk of petrol effecting the deisel pump and injector seals as most are not petrol resistant on these models so if you see deisel dripping from the pump in the next few months you can garrentee it was the petrol. 80 and 100 series Toyota,s are common for this and you dont even need petrol to effect them just a deisel fuel additive will cause it

2008 model toyota hilux, so I expect the worst ๐Ÿ˜ž

Message 50 of 69
Latest reply