Why aren't eBay stopping sale of pirated auto repair manuals?

Although eBay have rules against the listing of items which infringe copyright and are on recordable media they have hundreds of such items for sale at any one time.

Now I understand that some items can slip through the net, but there is no excuse when there are so many items that are obviously not the genuine article.

Take the case of repair manuals for cars, motorcycles, boat engines and the like. All you have to do is search for something like "MANUAL CD" and you will see hundreds (perhaps thousands) of listings for these type of repair manuals. I would suggest that most people who see these manuals realise that they are obviously either pirated copies of printed manuals or manufacturer's service data that is usually only available to dealers. Many of the advertisers even openly mention the publisher's name. I have no doubt eBay have a department full of people trained to spot listing violations such as these, but they don't appear to be doing anything about the problem, despite myself (and I'm sure many others) reporting these listings frequently in an attempt to bring this to their attention.

I guess this type of theft does not receive the same public attention as software, music and movie piracy so eBay are probably happy not to have to "waste" their resources clamping down on it, and no doubt also happy to pocket the listing and various other fees they receive for selling these stolen goods.

C'mon eBay, when are you going to something about this?
Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

qumozhe
Community Member

Because of the demand of automobiles, motorcycles, marine engine maintenance manual in pdf format for easy printing, copyright is not very strict

service repair  pdf manual download

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

There are simply too many listings for ebay to vet them. They rely on members being responsible in the way they buy n sell as well as relying on members to report policy breaches. 

image host
Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

`~~~~~. Many of the advertisers even openly mention the publisher's name. I have no doubt eBay have a department full of people trained to spot listing violations such as these, but they don't appear to be doing anything about the problem, despite myself (and I'm sure many others) reporting these listings frequently in an attempt to bring this to their attention. --------------------------------- . C'mon eBay, when are you going to something about this?

sorry you have totally mis-understood how ebay works.  they do not have a dept to spot listing violations such as ยฉ abuse, they do however have a VERO program, a very successful one for those companies who choose to use it, where any ยฉ holder can register and then set up their own department to keep an eye on who is selling their products without authority, the ยฉholder then reports to ebay and the listing will be removed immediately and the seller will get an violation on their a/c

if the ยฉholder is not interested in protecting their product, there is no way ebay could possibly police (and KNOW) WHAT is right and what is not right on the millions of items that get listed every day.

if you see lots of these violations, write to the ยฉholder, they are the ONLY ones ebay listens to about such breeches.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

opps sorry john-avis my quote of your post didnt work....

I was commenting on your comment

I have no doubt eBay have a department full of people trained to spot listing violations such as these, but they don't appear to be doing anything about the problem, despite myself (and I'm sure many others) reporting these listings frequently in an attempt to bring this to their attention.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

I thought it wasn't possible to sell PDFs on eBay?

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

Because they dont care as long as they make money.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

Yeah a big company like this don't worry about the little people. If they are making their $$$$$ then why stop something. This is why i don't sell on here any more its just $$$ and more of this $$$ and at the end you get no moeny your better of going other places the fees are just over rated

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

I thought it wasn't possible to sell PDFs on eBay?

you can't on eBay Australia, but most of these are being sold on C D (posted thru the mail)

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

Many repair manuals for older/collectable vehicles  are out of print and it is impossible to find second hand ones even on a worldwide net search..

A repair manual can be imperative to a vehicle owner..

Copies, dvds, et al are a godsend to some vehicle owners.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply