have fees for selling a trailer sky rocketed

Its been a longgggggg time since selling a vehicle on ebay, have the fees gone up so much or am I selling in the wrong section, trailer is worth around $2000 and fees were around $215.00 - can someone comfirm this it now right - just wondering cause trading post only charge $20.00 and unsure why it is so much more now days.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

cq_tech
Community Member
It depends upon the category in which you listed your trailer and whether or not you listed it for free, but essentially, unless you actually paid for your listing, and from the fees you were charged, I'd say you didn't, then you're going to be hit with a 9.9% final value fee on the entire price, capped at $250.

Had you paid for a vehicle listing up front, you'd have only been charged $60 for a successful sale. It's a bit of a trap and pretty bloody unfair of ebay not to make it clearer, but all the fees are explained on this link... http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/sell/fees.html#fvf
Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

I wasn't actually silly enough to go ahead with the ad after it came up with that riduculous selling fee - so how do you pay for it upfront - didn't even see that offer available

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

It depends upon whether or not a trailer can be listed under the Motor Vehicle category, but if not, you also have the option of a Classified Ad which cost $19.95 per insertion, but carries no final value fee. Free listing is fine for cheaper items or items which don't sell well, but ebay really punish you with their exorbitant FVF. If you think it likely that your trailer will sell with just the one listing, then a Classified Ad would seem to be the cheapest method. Refer to the chart below.

Fees for selling a vehicle (eBay Motors)

These fees apply to listings on eBay Motors (excluding Parts & Accessories).

Format

Insertion fee

Reserve price fee

Final value fee

Auction

$8.00

$14.95
(not charged for successful sale)

$60.00

Fixed Price

Feature not available

Classified with Best Offer

$19.99

Things to note about Motors fees:
  • If you're setting a reserve for your vehicle, the reserve price fee is charged when you create your listing. If your vehicle is sold (i.e. the reserve price is met), the fee will be credited back to your account and you'll pay a final value fee instead.

These fees apply to listings in Classified Ad format in categories other than Motors.

Category

Insertion fee

Final value fee

Services

$19.99

$40.00

Real Estate

$49.95

Final value fees not applicable

Other categories

$19.99

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

thanks for the info - so very confussing - I don't mind paying for the Ad but no $220.00 worth - to many idiots going around that muck you around to pay that much - will try Classidieds I think ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Is ebay motors under a different section when you click on sell - it only comes up under the usual car, boat, trailer etc and then I cannot find anything about classifieds ๐Ÿ˜ž
Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Sorry kezza, I think you're going to have to call ebay and ask them, because I have no idea either. I even created a couple of test listings in categories which are supposed to have classified ads available yet I could find no way to list other than auction or BIN, so they clearly don't make it easy, even though Trailers is one of the categories where classified ads are allowed.

I think your best bet is to click on Customer Support at the top right on any page, then click on Contact eBay and go to Selling / Listing a vehicle / Call Us, where you will be given eBay's toll-free phone number and a PIN, then give them a ring and ask the service rep exactly how to list by classified ads. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Message 7 of 7
Latest reply