is this fake?

2009mell
Community Member
hi people, have been in contact with a seller for car found on the trading post site. Deal is good, but is it too good? Apparently the owner just moved to uk after divorce. Car is meant to be at transport company in Aust, revs check confirmed what it is and where its registered.
My problem is, the owners email tells me that she has a contract with ebay to sell the car through them... then says...
deal will go like this (remember Ive never used ebay for more than small stuff).
1, i give her my details and shipping address
2, she informs ebay and ebay sends me an invoice for amount payable
3, i pay ebay and the car is "shipped" to me at no cost to me
4, i have 5 days to have the car inspected and decide whether i want it.
5, if i want it ebay pays her, if i dont, she sends for the car, ebay refunds my money and thats the end of that......

Is this a SCAM? Or is this a legitimate way for difficult situation sales to be managed by ebay????
Please Help, still waiting for ebay support to get back to me..
Message 1 of 117
Latest reply
116 REPLIES 116

is this fake?

petey3108
Community Member
Hey!!

I was just wondering how many of you had the divorce story and that she was living in London and what cars you were looking at... it would be interesting to see if they are all different cars or if it's the same car...

i know some of you said you were looking at Holden's i think.. but was that the car you got the divorce story for??

i got the same story and was looking at a Volkswagen... just curious... these people should really be reported..
Message 21 of 117
Latest reply

is this fake?

xb50gs
Community Member
Well, first off, don't feel silly because this is nothing new.

419 scams have been going on, in one form or another, for 50 years, the internet has just made it easier for the scammers to reach their target.

Before, everyone used to get letters, from doctors, lawyers, scientists, bankers, etc in foreign countries, mostly Africa, more specifically, Nigeria, saying that so and so had died, and either claiming you were a distant relative, or that no other next of kin could be found, so they came to you as you had the same surname.

If they got a reply they took it to the next level, which was asking you to send them money to get the paperwork needed to transfer the funds into your account. Some start out small, requesting $5 for for fuel, or stamps and writing supplies and work their way up, some go for the kill straight away. Either way, it has the end result. They get money and you get nothing.

Now with the internet, its so much easier. Instead of sending 10 letters for maybe 1 reply, they can go to a internet kiosk send out emails to hundreds of people (names are usually bought from higher up people) and sit back and wait.

Car scams are similar. They were quite primitive before, but now they're advanced.. Its not just cars either, I've seen boats, caravans, trucks, bikes, computers, iphones, etc anything of value. They all work on a common theme though.

1. The car and seller are nearly always located in 2 separate places.
2. The car is usually overseas on at least interstate, if by chance it is in the same state as you, it can't be viewed as its in a shipping container, or held in customs, etc.

The main thing is this though. EVERYTHING needs to be done as QUICKLY as possible and in secrecy. They will ALWAYS tell you it needs to be finalized quickly because they're moving/dying whatever and that you can't tell anyone.
Going Ford is the Going Thing.
Message 22 of 117
Latest reply

is this fake?

this is what i got and it sounds nearly the same !!!!!

I am selling the bike so cheap because I am in United Kingdom with my job and I am going through a divorce. I am an eBay seller so the transaction will be done through eBay. The bike will be delivered to your address, I will pay the delivery fees so you don't need to worry. If you're ready for this purchase, I need to know your full name and address, as soon as I have them I will start the official procedure, and eBay will notify you about this. eBay will send you an Invoice with all the info you will need to complete the transaction. Also a 10 days refund policy will be included so if you will not like the bike you will receive your money back.
Thanks
Message 23 of 117
Latest reply

is this fake?

to all the people this is a copy of the email i recieved so if you ever get a email the same as this be careful please. I also posted this in my question as well thank god i did not send money.
Congratulations you've bought 2005 HARLEY-DAVIDSON !Wednesday, May 19, 2010 8:03 PM
To: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

eBay sent this message to xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Invoice

Dear xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxi,

Your total amount due is AU $5,500.00. More details about your purchase are included below.

Item Title Quantity Purchase date : Amount

2005 HARLEY-DAVIDSON 1 19/05/10 AU $5,500.00
Subtotal: AU $5,500.00
Postage and handling via Regular: AU $0.00
Total AU $5,500.00

The seller require the payment for this item to be done through Western Union money transfer because it is his only way to receive the money in United Kingdom. Click here to locate the agents in your area. You must go to a Western Union office with cash and make a Money Transfer to the name and address of the seller for the amount of AU $5,500.00. You must complete a form there. You must write there the seller's name, location, amount. You must declare it a personal transfer ( you will tell to the agent from Western Union that you are sending money to a friend of yours ) at the Western Union office, otherwise you will not be able to send the money. Because the fee to send a Western Union Money Transfer is high, compared to other methods of payment, we have arranged with the seller and he will pay the fee (i.e., if it costs you $100 to send the payment, take $100 from the amount and send the balance). Once the payment was sent, email to the seller at adrian.lewer@hotmail.com the following information : 10 digit MTCN (Money Transfer Control Number); Exact sender's name on file with Western Union; Your street address on file with Western Union; City and country where you sent the money from; Amount sent.

Payment details: Lewer Adrian; 201 Rye Lane, London SE15 4TT, United Kingdom
Delivery details: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Currently, the seller has a AU $15,000,00 deposit in an eBay purchase protection account. After you have made the payment you will receive the item in 3 days. After the item is received, you have ten days to inspect it. If it is complete and as described, you should accept the item. If not, you have 10 days from the reception date to request a refund. Refund requests are processed within 24 hours. The insured amount of the transaction will be taken from the seller's purchase protection account and refunded to you. The refund is sent to your bank account, or by check or money order. The way you are refunded is at your discretion. You are buying from an eBay seller so if something goes wrong or you are not satisfied with the item you will receive your money back in maxx 24 hours.

If you have any queries regarding this message, contact our eBay Live HelpTeam at :
cgi-support-transaction@live.com
Message 24 of 117
Latest reply

is this fake?

Well they are still at it, just got the same story with a 2006 Prado as the vehicle. You'll love how it goes:
Ebay listing says vehicle is in Cecil Hill NSW
Number Plates are Victorian Plates
She is in the UK
But the car is in Bundaberg...

Might just pay the money and cross my fingers hey?

HA! Yeah right, keep on your guard, as the old adage goes, if it's too good to be true - it probably is...

Do your research and thanks to everyone who has replied to this post.

Cheers!!
Message 25 of 117
Latest reply

is this fake?

rcoo8335
Community Member
yes this is a fraud
they ask for money to be sent to England
too good to be true
Message 26 of 117
Latest reply

is this fake?

hi there, i just saw your question...as i am interested in purchasing a car...which sounds way to good to be true...i am hesitant and am looking everywhere for help....the situation you had explained is identical...she has just gotten divorced and is now living in the UK but is selling the car from Qld...free shipment etc etc....just out of curiosity what type of car were you planning on buying...the one i was interested in was a ford territory turbo ghia.....thank you for this...now i know for certain to stay away....and i should listen to my gut instincts more often....
Message 27 of 117
Latest reply

is this fake?

ford territory turbo ghia
this appears to be scam vehicle flavour of the month .. the territory in Darwin has been more popular than the QLD one.

bjay try a reverse search changing the right drop down menu to distance nearest and use Ford territory in the search heading.

The territorys listed at the end of the search as location "Australia" generally will have a greater chance of being scam listings although any account can be hijacked. you will probably see the same car pictures in different listings.

The search is better than the left hand km or car type search as it relies on the seller to fill in the item specifics for the search to work.

The distance nearest right hand drop down menu item title search relies only on the ebay item title search results
TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 28 of 117
Latest reply

is this fake?

0427impala67
Community Member
hi mell,yes well i was interested in the divorcee's monaro.what a croc of crap!!i sent a email to julie s asking for a phone call, still waiting... I dont know how some people can do crap like this,i guess their KARMA will catch up with them
Message 29 of 117
Latest reply

is this fake?

it happened to me to what a crock of - - - - this is the email i recived
After asking to veiw the car first This was a 2005 suzuki swift found on guntree sydney site..... if u look at the picture close the number plate has the last number acctually cut off..............

Like i said in my first email i am not in the country right now.
However I made all the necessary arrangements to sell the car even if my staying here will be longer then expected.
I am selling the car through eBay Motors Escrow ,which is specially conceived for car buyers and sellers offering this service for a relative small fee (including car delivery) . The car is already in their custody waiting for a buyer. They have all the papers in order to help the buyer with the car registration.
I will try to explain how it works:
I send them the name and address of the person receiving the car.
They then will send the invoice for payment to the buyer.
The buyer makes payment to eBay for the vehicle and confirms it with eBay.
eBay then informs the buyer when the delivery of the car will be done and delivers the car.
The buyer then has 3 days inspection time, during which he can decide if he keeps the vehicle or not.
If you do not want to keep the vehicle eBay will refund you and take the car back to the warehouse.
If you want to keep the vehicle, they will help with the transfer of registration etc and then they will release the funds to me.
Hope that clears it up

if you are interested in buying it get back to me with the full name and address of the person that will be receiving the car.
P.S. I think you can also view it at the warehouse but I am not sure, you can ask eBay Motors at support@escrow-au.com just mention my reference code: "E38349414" so they know which car you are asking about.

Please email me back and let me know if you got in touch with the people from ebay. They can also confirm the perfectly good shape of the car as I described it.

Regards,

Jesica
Message 30 of 117
Latest reply