struts

Can someone explain to this dumbo what exactly a strut is?

I think it has a shock absorber and a spring - but is it the same as 'coil overs' that I've seen advertised?

TIA

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

struts

A strut is the structural piece that connects a road wheel and hub to the vehicle it usually consists of a spring, a shock

absorber a strut tower and some type of bolt on hub (balljoint) fastening device.

Before Mcpherson struts cars generally had upper and lower control arms, with the spring and shock absorber being

separate devices.

The Mcpherson strut integrated them into a single unit.

Coil over struts have the spring above the shock absorber while in more normal struts the shock absorber shaft traveols

through the centre of the spring and is connected to the strut tower. Try here for vy pre 9/2002 for a Holden macpherson

strut front end

http://www.nolathane.com.au/do_segue.php?make=HOLDEN&model=COMMODORE&model_final=COMMODORE+VT%2C+VX%...

while below on the link is an upper and lower control arm "wishbone" type of set up found on earlier holdens

http://www.nolathane.com.au/do_segue.php?make=HOLDEN&model=HOLDEN+FX-WB&model_final=HOLDEN+HK%2C+HT%...

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

struts

Thanks colic2bullsgirlore. 

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

struts

No worries to put it succintly in the commodores case the standard Mcpherson strut used is already a coilover 'shock

absorber" set up.

Fitting coilovers to a Commodore is really a misnomer as mcpherson struts are already of coilover design.

Purchasing "coilovers' for a Commodore generally only means that the original Mcpherson strut is only enhanced by

allowing coil spring/damper adjustments

However with the older wishbone type systems fitting coilover shock absorbers negates the need for the original spring with the spring being fitted in a different position (around the shock) rather than in the Mcpherson struts case whereby the "coilover shock absorber remains in the same position as the original spring and the package just upgrades the MS recoil .

Perhaps the easiest way to picture the operation ( and the best example) of coil over shock absorbers is their

fitment  to earlier motorbikes rear ends whereby the removal of the coil over shock absorber did not denigrate the fixing

position of the  wheel (it is held by the swing arm).

Most motorbikes are now monoshocks which is really just a centrally fitted coil over shock absorber.

Whereas if you remove a Mcpherson strut then the wheel  become unfixed from the vehicle at the top point and

only held slackly by the lower control arm

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

struts

Hi Rabbit-some good work done by Colic on your question.

As we all know from your past motoring posts-be careful.

A paip of cheap front struts on the net-maybe the ones that hold the bonnet up.

just saying........................Richo.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

struts

@serendipityricho wrote:

Hi Rabbit-some good work done by Colic on your question.

As we all know from your past motoring posts-be careful.

A paip of cheap front struts on the net-maybe the ones that hold the bonnet up.

just saying........................Richo.

This is not the Commodore - this is my new little toy - Mazda Eunos 30X and it has a stick to hold the bonnet up.

You may recall I was looking for an HR to do up - TOO EXPENSIVE to buy - even a rusted hulk - cheaper to do up I suppose but I had a Mazda MX6 many years ago and loved it. A bit hard to get out of (Eunos) for an old bloke, but I haven't had so much fun for years. Noisy little bugga but a heap of fun. 

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

struts

thanks again colic2bullsgirlore.

I spent yesterday in Pedders. Booked in for one of their $28 suspension checks and read every pamphlet they had - plus looked at all the pictures, so believe it not, I can tell the difference now.

Things have gone up a tad since I last bought suspension bits (1990) - $200 for a strut, $140 for shock, $120 for strut mount plus $120 to fit - and that's each corner. He reckons I also need several bushes too.

{edit: Looks like I'm going to have to plant a few bushes to pay for it all.}

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

struts

Get a second opinion. Pedders are notorious for "finding" all manner of suspension problems during their $28 suspension checks, and most people believe them because their highly technical-looking results charts can be interpreted any way they like.

The fact is that it's simply a rort to get you inside their workshops and once you're there, you're pretty much at their mercy. I'll guarantee that if you were to get a second opinion, most of the work recommended by Pedders would be totally unnecessary.
Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

struts

thanks cq. I remember when I bought the Commodore, 2 years old, took it into pedders and by the time I left, I was all for jacking the number plates up and slipping another car between them. Have driven it for 8 years, and as far as I can remember, none of the things they said were about to fail have shown any signs. Yes, I know they are probably not 100% but for the amount of driving I do, they will have to do. One day, after I win Lotto, I'll go and buy a new one.

There was a time, many years ago, when I had money, I would take a car into Pedders or some performace place and say "do ya thing", but those days have long gone.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

struts

Well, to be fair, his Rally Car driving is a pretty expensive hobby to maintain and the money has to come from somewhere, but not by ripping off the general public the way he does (and he's already been caught once).
Message 10 of 10
Latest reply