I received an item that was broken because the seller did not package the fragile item as paid for

I bought item 131142069862 $5 for the item and $ 7.20 for postage....then after the bidding closed I notice in the account to pay the seller added 12.20 extra for packaging....i thought fair enough its a 60 year old plate.....I received the item broken because it was not even in a box.....I took the unopened item to a post office in Oakleigh and not only did they say they did not reconise the packaging as their own but they would have advised anyone to send a plate in a box (which their biggest box cost $4, which for the item would be just right) I have outlined to the seller that since they took the whole risk upon themselves not to put item in a box without consulting with me I should not have to bare any of the cost......Its obvious they do not want to reimburse my money can you help me

thanking you

Denise

View Entire Topic

Denise, firstly you dont ever have to pay anyone extra for postage than is on the listing, no matter what they say its for, unless YOU ask for an extra service that want listed in the description. That plate could easily have been sent for the $7.20 originally quoted, with perhaps another $2 for packaging, but you dont even have to pay that much if it is not in the listing. The seller is obviously trying to make extra on the sale because of the low price, and that is against ebay policy.

I do hope you paid via paypal, because you need to open a dispute for item not as decribed, and escalate it to a claim as soon as you are able. Paypal will ask you to send the item back, but if you call them and tell them that it is a broken plate, they may reconsider, however, if you paid the seller the extra funds in a seperate transaction, and not through the original invoice, you wont get that back i'm afraid.

After this is sorted, you should really leave this seller appropriate feedback to warn other buyers, they cannot retaliate, and that is what the feedback system is for.