Am I legally obliged to refund if item is lost or destroyed by Australia Post? (seller)

I am a seller and I am just wondering if I am I legally obliged to provide a refund if the buyer says the item has been lost or destroyed in transit by Australia Post?

View Entire Topic

In short, yes, you should refund because the buyer didn't get what they paid for. However, if the item you posted was sent with tracking and the buyer says it didn't arrive, you would normally win a item not received dispute.

If something is destroyed by Australia Post, then you need to take it up with them. They have a form you can fill out to try and make a claim against something broken. That said, unless the item is posted in an Australia Post posting box, the chances of getting a return are pretty low. They will always try and blame your poor packing.

If a buyer says something arrived broken, always ask for photos as proof before issuing a refund. Some buyers like to turn it on and say something is broken just to get a refund. No photo, no refund.