Can a seller charge petrol, time, fees & other misc costs as part of postage ?????

I have a seller who wants to charge me $29 for postage of a pair of shoes from Vic to Perth WA

I questioned her postage charge and i got back the following

"Yes, the postage is correct. These shoes are pretty heavy, especially with the packaging, and will weigh much more then the standard 500 g to ship. The price is a little higher than the actual postage cost to help cover eBay seller and postage fees, PayPal fees, etc. These shoes are in fantastic condition and cost about $140 when I bought them and I only wore them once or twice."

I only paid $9.99 for them - that was the starting bid and i was the only bidder

I also have another woman who wants to charge me $30 postage for 3 items from Chatswood NSW to Perth and her reponse was

"Yes, the combined postage of all 3 items to Perth will be $30. This includes the increased weight, bigger mailing box, petrol, ebay/paypal fees and time."

Is this correct ??????????????

View Entire Topic

Let's consider the shoe item and the costs involved in listing the item on eBay and being paid through PayPal.

Final price = $9.99 + $29 Postage

Seller costs:

9.9%x $9.99 final value fee = $0.99

9.9% x $29 fvf on postage = $2.87

Actual cost of postage (estimate) = $15

Registration or SOD = $3

Packaging (nominal) = $1

PayPal fee 30c + 2.6% on total = $1.31

TOTAL = $24.17

This leaves the seller $38.99 - $24.17 = $14.82

I'm not saying the seller is right or you are right, but if you were selling these shoes on eBay would you consider $14.82 a good return for the shoes and the effort of listing and selling these on eBay?