Do I have to pay any tax if I sell a used tablet of mine here on eBay and if so, how much?

Hi,

I have a used tablet that I want to sell so on eBay. Let's pretend that I've bought this tablet for $800, and now I am selling it on eBay for $400. Also eBay takes a chunk of this $400 (I think 20%, right?) so in the end let's assume I earn $320.

Do I have to declare this as revenue for taxation purposes, even though in practice I haven't earned anything (I had purchased the device for $800, I had paid GST for it, and now I am selling it for $320, so in practice I have lost $480).

Furthermore I am not a full-time seller. I only ocassionally sell my used items here on eBay.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Do I have to pay any tax if I sell a used tablet of mine here on eBay and if so, how much?

No, selling your second hand goods from your home n garage doesn't incur tax.

If you started buying to resell, that would incur tax.

eBay fees are 9.9% in most categories capped at 250 and if you are paid in PayPal there is a fee also of 2.6% plus 30c.

image host

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

no

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

eBay fees are 9.9% in most categories capped at 250 and if you are paid in PayPal there is a fee also of 2.6% plus 30c.

image host
Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

You will also be charged GST on your eBay fees,(eg: 10 % of your 9.9% eBay fee that they charge on your

Final Value Fee's and postage).

Use caution selling a tablet or any other similar items as they are targets for scammers.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Tazz, If the OP hasn't sold it by now, reckon it might be a little dated. Smiley Wink

image host
Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

Tazz, If the OP hasn't sold it by now, reckon it might be a little dated. Smiley Wink

Another OUTDATED thread that should never have been resurrected,(I didn't look at the date of the last reply

before replying).

I'll report it for Inappropriate Content,

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply