Has The netflix tax been postponed for 12 months?

So many friends are rejoicing that The netflix tax has been postponed until July 1st 2018 but Ebay have not givien any indication of this.

Is this true?

the following link also says it is:

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2017/06/the-netflix-tax-has-been-postponed-to-2018/

Can someone from Ebay please advise?

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Not quite right.

The eBay service is called a digital service as it is online.

There will be GST on the eBay fees and all other digital (online) services effective July 2017.

I assume it is called the Netflix tax as it was first introduced because of the online service, Netflix.

So if you sell an item on eBay for 100, fees are around 10.

Now the fees will be around 11 inclusive of GST.

Unless eBay are picking up the tab and make current fees inclusive of GST, in that case no changes to members.

But I doubt the last hopeful statement. Smiley Wink

image host

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

eBay don't monitor the boards.

There is a thread in 'selling' about this.

But the body of your link is correct - GST on imported goods under $1000 has been postponed until July 2018; GST on digital services (the Netflix tax) comes into effect in July 2017.

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

so would explain why audible has advised there is going to be a GST charge on their books ....

so have I got this right? ebay fees aren't going up a further 10% after 1 July 2017 related to gst after all (only on digital?).

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

Not quite right.

The eBay service is called a digital service as it is online.

There will be GST on the eBay fees and all other digital (online) services effective July 2017.

I assume it is called the Netflix tax as it was first introduced because of the online service, Netflix.

So if you sell an item on eBay for 100, fees are around 10.

Now the fees will be around 11 inclusive of GST.

Unless eBay are picking up the tab and make current fees inclusive of GST, in that case no changes to members.

But I doubt the last hopeful statement. Smiley Wink

image host
Message 4 of 4
Latest reply