SILVER PLATED FAKES..

Why can people sell .999 silver plated cions on EBay ,that are exactly  the same as the Perth mint solid .999 silver coin Even the same size with nothing on the coin that says copy ,or plated,The seller says plated but the coins are identical ,ready to be palmed off to the next poor buyer..

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

SILVER PLATED FAKES..

item number please. 🙂

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

SILVER PLATED FAKES..

You are correct in what you are saying,silver plated being sold as genuine silver so you need to be able to determine the difference between the two coins ,silver plated will rub off and is mostly shinny,pure silver has a flat look to it and if you rub it with a cloth and the cloth turns black then it's silver,also try and magnetise it if it sticks then it's fake,silver plated will also turn a green colour.I suppose that you can only do these tests on a coin once you have it in your hands,but with only an image to look at you need to determine how much shine it has before you decide to purchase it.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

SILVER PLATED FAKES..

Apart from the silver proof coins which are shiny

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

SILVER PLATED FAKES..

Fake Silver on eBay???? I think you are dreaming. They would never allow it.

** try buying 'Genuine Solid Sterling Silver' jewellery.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

SILVER PLATED FAKES..

People not only sell fake silver coins, that look genuine, on eBay but they also sell fake gold and silver jewellery, and lots of it! Lots and lots of fake jewellery, all hallmarked, being sold as genuine in both the new and used/ vintage jewellery catagories. Hooray for PayPals 6 month returns because finally eBay can start to help customers that are robbed when they receive a fully hallmarked product that looks exactly like the real thing, until it is worn for a month or two and the base metal becomes apparent. By that time it is too late to warn others, poitive feedback can't be retracted and ,under the old rules, its too late to make a rightful PayPal claim. The production and sale of fake portable commodities, like gold and silver, is really the same as making conterfeit money, that can be used in any country. I am really happy that PayPals 6 month returns will finally have an impact on what seems to be a lucrative and well established international racket. I think that eBays 3 month long, 21 day, funds hold for new accounts will heavily impact against this racket from just popping up with fresh selling accounts, after PayPal's new refund system slowly shuts them down.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

SILVER PLATED FAKES..

@carolineshop.123 wrote:

People not only sell fake silver coins, that look genuine, on eBay but they also sell fake gold and silver jewellery, and lots of it! Lots and lots of fake jewellery, all hallmarked, being sold as genuine in both the new and used/ vintage jewellery catagories. Hooray for PayPals 6 month returns because finally eBay can start to help customers that are robbed when they receive a fully hallmarked product that looks exactly like the real thing, until it is worn for a month or two and the base metal becomes apparent. By that time it is too late to warn others, poitive feedback can't be retracted and ,under the old rules, its too late to make a rightful PayPal claim. The production and sale of fake portable commodities, like gold and silver, is really the same as making conterfeit money, that can be used in any country. I am really happy that PayPals 6 month returns will finally have an impact on what seems to be a lucrative and well established international racket. I think that eBays 3 month long, 21 day, funds hold for new accounts will heavily impact against this racket from just popping up with fresh selling accounts, after PayPal's new refund system slowly shuts them down.

You can only hope, can't you? But I wouldn't hold my breath.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

SILVER PLATED FAKES..

One quick example EBay 271712119776 real deal ..191447735175 fake .Coins both  look the same.The seller says it is silver plated but the coin has no copy or plated on it just. .999 silver.To bad for the next sucker,This is so wrong..

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

SILVER PLATED FAKES..

Those "coins" do not look the same at all. 

The "fake" is not even a coin.....it is a medallion.  The seller has been totally honest about it not being solid silver but has made a mistake in calling it a coin......is is clearly a medallion as there is no $ denomination on the item.

It is not a fake coin. it is a legitimate medallion and anyone who knows about coins would not be taken in.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

SILVER PLATED FAKES..

Unfortunately there is a flood of silver-plated copies coming down from lands North of our border - some are marked as copies but so many aren't. 

Another Ebay user (Savoncoins) wrote an excellent explanation of the difference between coins, tokens & medals:

What is the difference between a coin, token, and medal?

This is important to know, because even many collectors confuse them, calling them all coins. A coin is a piece of (usually) metal with an assigned value, issued by a governing body. If it's not issued by some form of government, it's not a coin. A token is a piece that is privately issued, with or without a specified value, but often used in lieu of coins. A medal is a piece issued to commemorate, honor or recognize an event, place, person or group, with no stated value and not intended to circulate as money. A medal may be a private, or a government issue, but its sole purpose is to commemorate something.

Ad astra per alia porci — To the stars on the wings of a pig
Message 10 of 11
Latest reply