Cancelling a transaction? Buyer not paying.

nikel66
Community Member

I had something listed as postage included in the price (free postage), and I thought i had put in the ad 'no pick up'. After a couple of days the buyer hadnt paid so i sent an email asking if he still wanted the item, if not we can cancel it and I will relist. A day or so later he emailed and said he wanted to pick it up. I replied that I would prefer to post as I didnt like people coming to my house (I have had less than ideal experiences in the past). Another day or two later he then wrote back a rather terse email saying that postage was a waste of money, and I "really should have put 'no pick up' in the listing",  but he could pay by paypal and I could leave the item outside hidden for him to collect. I then  replied that I hoped he realised I wasnt trying to charge him any additonal postage fees and the postage costs were part of the deal and genuinely thought that I had put 'no pick up', which turned out to be in error. I still wasnt comfortable with pick up, but agreed to it because of my mistake.

That final email was four days ago and I still have not been paid or had any reply from him. Id prefer to just cancel the whole thing as the item was bought for under $12 and its really not worth all this hassle. I could go down the "no payment" resolution route but i dont know if its worth it. What would you suggfest as the next course of action?

View Entire Topic

Firstly, you do not have to state 'no pick ups' in your listings. Buyers should not just 'assume' things. It is more the other way, if you do allow picks, then that should be stated in the listing, if nothing is stated in the sellers terms about pick ups, it pretty safe to assume they dont accept that method.

You will need to go down the non payment route. If the buyer refuses your cancellation, you can then not open a non payment dispute. Just open the dispute, and if he pays, send his item, if he doesnt, leave him the strike he deserves.