I do not recommend selling 925 jewellery for scrap, most scrap dealers are fraudulent

Hi,

I am an experienced e-bayer, I do strongly recommend not to sell 925 scrap, always sell sterling silver wearable items, if these are broken silver pieces or scrap you get better prices and better experience selling it at a reputable jewellery store, buyer or alike outside ebay.

Most buyers or scrap sterling silver never end up happy, do your research, not worth it, you will end up risking your reputation on ebay, it is proven that scrap buyers are most of the time fraudulent and scammers .

DO NOT RISK YOUR E-BAY REPUTATION OR ACCOUNT, do not sell 925 scrap as the seller protection does not cover sellers that sell scrap.

Please leave your comments or experiences specially if you are a scrap dealer, seller or anything related.

Thank you !

View Entire Topic

There's 2 problems I see here. 1. nothing you have sold or have listed is listed as being for scrap. 2. what you do have listed and have sold is cheap junk from Asia, not "vintage that I've had stored away for years". Even though the sellers you've bought from have private listings, it's not hard for buyers to see where you have bought your stuff and how much you paid for it. That is an indicator that you're flogging off cheap carp as real (maybe you assumed it was real because the ad said so. You wouldn't be the first).

It's easy to fool some buyers, they like what they see and don't know any better. Then there's the other buyers who like what they see, then when they get out all their testing gadgets, they realise they have been deceived. They know the gemstone isn't real and they know the metal is plated at best (often it's not even plated, it just chromed metal).

The second category of buyers don't buy from Asian sellers because they know that 99.9% of what they sell is fake, regardless of how lovely they look in the photos. Therefore, they tend to buy locally as most of the time they get what they pay for (and believe me, they test EVERYTHING). Then to end up getting some cheap Chinese knock off, they tend to get a little upset.

People who sell jewellery and gemstones need to know a bit about what they are selling. If you're going to continue selling this line, I would suggest you buy yourself a gemstone and metal tester (you can buy them on eBay pretty cheap.......not from China though!!!). That way when you go to list your new items, you can tell people whether they are genuine or created. If a buyer can see straight up they are getting a created stone, then they're going to be happy with that. If they then turn around and say you tried to deceive them, you can point them to the part in the ad that says the stone is man made, created, manufactured, imitation, whatever you want to call it (just don't call it fake because the eBay bots will pull your listing).

If a ring or pendant does show up as being 925 silver, you can photograph the tester for buyers to see.