21 DAY HOLD FINANCIAL SERVICE OMBUDSMAN WANTS TO HEAR FROM YOU

Having lodged a complaint against Pay Pal and Ebay in regards to illegally freezing funds and also referring the matter to the privacy commisioner.  The Financial Services Ombudsman also wants to hear about accounts where funds have been placed under the 21 day hold. Their office is anticipating an across board deluge of complaints and they wish to be advised of individual cases as believe this is a breach of law.

Message 1 of 524
Latest reply
523 REPLIES 523

ANYONE who is affected, whether you are a new or established seller needs to lodge a complaint. It's the only way that changes are going to be made.

For those that wish to lodge a complaint, it's a fairly quick process if you use this link

Off the main topic, but still on the subject of PayPal, an interesting link was posted on the People Versus PayPal page this morning from a member in the US, regarding the 6 month return policy and what is happening as far as that goes in the States. http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/paypal-expanding-return-window-to-six-months-100614.html

Message 21 of 524
Latest reply

Apologise for sounding dumb here but how do you tell if you have money frozen in your PayPal account?

Do the funds state 'pending". I've not noticed anything different in my account thats all.

Message 22 of 524
Latest reply

saarzi
Community Member

You can lodge a dispute online. VERY EASY!

Message 23 of 524
Latest reply

There is no proof though is there? It seems they are deciding in the buyers favour if there is no proof and the buyer is right unless proven otherwise. Which I think is fundamentally wrong and the problem.

If I send out a set of china teacups in a plastic bag and they get broken who is at fault? I don't think ebay and paypal can really be trusted or even make judgments on such a thing, by signing the contract with them you agree to it though.

Message 24 of 524
Latest reply

Why are paypal holding the funds?

Message 25 of 524
Latest reply

pepper

my first dvd sale, money was available straight away.

2nd, 3rd and 4th dvd sale, money shown as "available 30th december" or words to that effect.
Message 26 of 524
Latest reply

funny1.jpg

Message 27 of 524
Latest reply

I don't own the rights so do your best.

Message 28 of 524
Latest reply

I dunno, maybe its time to boycott ebay and paypal.

The cost to have a store on here is more than having your own website.

Maybe its time we give etsy a go in australia , as they accept credit cards as well. 

I get paypal is super easy to use, instant payment and all, but I think if anyone wants to stay on ebay, maybe do the old school bank account transfers, money orders, cash even...its slower, but not as slow as 21 days.

Other options could be for some bright spark to start another instant money transfer service, if there isnt one already, and offer some much needed competition to paypal.

There is Gumtree as well, 🙂

Message 29 of 524
Latest reply

Crystal, there is plenty of competition for paypal out there if you look.

The problem is that they are much more expensive for the most part and do not offer any sort of buyer or seller protection as paypal does.

The only one that comes close to paypal is Paymate which is also recommended by ebay but the buyer protection is not a patch on paypal.

Buyers who don't care or don't want paypal protection can still use bank transfers, but with some of the shonky sellers on here now why would they take the chance?

You can still use cash for pickup items....in fact it is recommended, but you should not send cash in the mail....it is too easy for it to go missing and you have no proof that it was ever sent.

Message 30 of 524
Latest reply