A Buying problem for the Sellers to offer suggestions.

This should really be a post for the Buying pages but, after constructive ideas from other Sellers as, being both a Seller and Buyer, I don't want to get all medieval on another Seller until my berserker rage irrevocably sets in and I become no longer responsible for my actions.

Bid on and won an auction on Saturday 16th and paid around an hour after auction end.  Seller had two days listed as their handling time.

Thursday evening (21st) sent a follow up to the Seller as the item was not yet marked as sent AND a negative had popped up in their feedback for ridiculously poor postage practices.

Receiving no response, sent another follow up early morning of 25th (today) and to 10 p.m. this evening (Sellers time) still no responses.

So, sitting at 6 full business days and 9 actual days since item purchased an paid for, I'm getting a little toey.

Obviously, all the usual thoughts of "life's happened" or Seller has had an issue of some kind have gone through my mind but, the negative FB that cropped up about the Sellers postage after my purchase has me a little leery now.

Any thoughts good people?

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

@the_pooze wrote:

Obviously, all the usual thoughts of "life's happened" or Seller has had an issue of some kind have gone through my mind but, the negative FB that cropped up about the Sellers postage after my purchase has me a little leery now.

Even without that neg cropping up, there has to be a cut-off point to making allowances for life happening or otherwise unknown factors. Ultimately, from the buyer's perspective, it doesn't really matter what the seller's personal circumstances might be (though commendable that you allow for them), if they are actually preventing them from being able to meet their committments (or respond to messages), entirely.

Personally, at this point in time, although no answer as yet, I would still allow up to two weeks from the purchase date for delivery, and if no response or item, I would use one of the dispute processes.

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

Maybe its joe's seller and they ran out of pre paid envelopes??

Serious now, with the massive number of days paypal gives buyers you have plenty of time to not worry
*we may be human, but we are still animals*
Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

it's only had 5 business day to get from seller to you, have you allowed enough time? some sellers never mark items as sent.

It can take 4 days from nsw sydney to me up on the east coast nsw/qld border, that's not even interstate

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

the seller is in QLD right and you are in WA?

You expect it to be there in 5 days? more like about 10
Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

I didn't take it, from the original post, that the buyer was necessarily expecting that the item would have arrived by now. The concern seemed to me to be more about teh lack of communication of any sort.

I think it would be perfectly normal to expect that after several messages, there would at least have been a reply by now.

That is not too much to ask for.

Plus, the seller hasn't even bothered to mark the item as sent or posted.

In other words, there has been no attempt to communicate in any way, shape or form with the buyer.

Maybe the item will arrive this week, maybe it won't but however it pans out, I would be marking this person as  a max of one star for communication.

And if it doesn't arrive soon, I would open a claim.

It sounds like a very slack seller.

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

"So, sitting at 6 full business days and 9 actual days since item purchased an paid for, I'm getting a little toey."

That suggests to me that they buyer expects their parcel to have arrived by now.

Give sellers a break for crying out loud. not all sellers mark items as sent.  There is nothing the seller can do until it gets to the 10 day mark anyway, chill

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

Even if they don't update there items as posted,  if a buyer asks for a followup they should at least respond and let them know whats happening.  Its all about communications.

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

life happens......... it's not all about ebay.

If your parcel doesn't arrive in 10 days- 2weeks then start wondering.

some buyers are becomming so demanding and unreasonable these days. I guess that has a lot to do with ebay setting unreasonable expectations.

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

"So, sitting at 6 full business days and 9 actual days since item purchased an paid for, I'm getting a little toey."

That suggests to me that they buyer expects their parcel to have arrived by now.

Give sellers a break for crying out loud. not all sellers mark items as sent.  There is nothing the seller can do until it gets to the 10 day mark anyway, chill-Harley

---------------------

I think you may have misinterpreted it to some extent.

The way I took it was that the buyer, 4 days after paying, noticed that the item had not been marked as sent PLUS the seller had received a negative for unusually slow posting times.

The buyer then sent a message, to which a good 4 days later, the seller had still not replied.

It is the combination of those circumstances that has made the buyer worried, not simply the fact the item isn't there yet. I would be a little underwhelmed too in the circumstances.

Yes, life does happen but unless there is a really pressing reason, then I think 8 days after a sale is ample time to allow for some communication.

No, sellers don't have to mark an item as sent but it would be in their interests to do so, it is a form of communication with the buyer & probably an easy one.

But except in unusual circumstances, a seller should respond to a message in under 4 days. If they can't, maybe ebay isn't the right place for them to be selling.

I understand some buyers can be unreasonable but I don't think this buyer sounds like one of those.

Oh and there is something the seller can do-reply to the message, give details of when the item was posted, reassure them that all is well. That is all some buyers are asking for-clarification so they know what is going on.

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply