A charge back through paypal for stolen credit card, totally confused, help..

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just had a chargeback from a credit card company saying that the buyer said she did not authorise use of her credit card. How is that possible when all the passwords she would of gone through to purchase it, How can you say you did not purchase something through ebay and pay by paypal? 

.What do I need to do? She paid through PayPal.  

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

I had a similar case about 6 weeks ago I contacted Paypal and the buyer if the person who used the card was un authourised and the product was delivered and received I told Paypal and the buyer I would get the Police involved. Straigh away Paypal refunded my account and the buy apologised that it was a mistake......I think the buyer was trying to pull on but he picked the wrong girl... Phone Paypal.

Crowsman

Message 2 of 28
Latest reply

You can have no idea if it was an unauthorised payment or not, if you sent the item with sufficient tracking for Paypal then you will not have to cover the cost of the refund.

You know the name and email address of the person who got the item so send them an email telling them that they should either cancel the chargeback if they did authorise the payment or, if they used it fraudulently they should pay you back within 48 hours or you will be contacting the police as they will have obtained goods by deception.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 3 of 28
Latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

How is that possible when all the passwords she would of gone through to purchase it, How can you say you did not purchase something through ebay and pay by paypal? 

That's not actually what an unauthorsied use chargeback is about - someone can log into their own eBay and PayPal account, but not use their own credit card to pay for a purchase - they don't actually even need to log into PayPal to do this; if you still have the PayPal payment notification, check which type it was. If the subject line was Item Number XXXXX: Notification of an Instant Payment Received from XXXX then the buyer logged into a PayPal account and you may be eleigible for seller protection if you have proof of postage. If subject line is just Notification of Payment Received, it means the buyer did not log into a PayPal account, and PayPal do not cover those types of payments, unfortunately.

Since the card details they use are not shared with the seller, you may never know exactly what happened (i.e. whether or not they used a card without permission and the real card holder is disputing the charge, or whether they did in fact use their own card and are claiming unauthorised use fraudulently).

If you do have proof of postage, I would upload the info to PayPal regardless of whether the payment is technically eligible for protection or not, as it may still help. If you are unsuccessful in fighting the chargeback, you could still try to pursue the buyer via other means, and report them to Online Fraud (if they are a local resident, and don't reimburse you voluntarily). 

Message 4 of 28
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

They would of gotten 4 emails about there purchase yet they claim that it was anunauthorisec transaction.  The email from paypal says I don't need to do anything but they still hold your money.  I am just devastated, do I still need to do anything although the paypal email says I don't?  But my paypal account says I need to prove postage etc, just confused,  small cost item but I am shocked some one would do that. Happy to share name.

Message 5 of 28
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

. If the subject line was Item Number XXXXX: Notification of an Instant Payment Received from XXXX then the buyer logged into a PayPal account and you may be eleigible for seller protection if you have proof of postage. If subject line is just Notification of Payment Received, it means the buyer did not log into a PayPal account, and PayPal do not cover those types of payments, unfortunately.

Hi Ghost, can you explain that one a bit more fully?  How do you make a paypal payment without going through paypal? 

Message 6 of 28
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

So someone then has logged into her ebay account and stolen her credit card at the same time and buys a cheap second hand clothing item, oh yes that sounds credible.

Message 7 of 28
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

How is that possible when all the passwords she would of gone through to purchase it, How can you say you did not purchase something through ebay and pay by paypal? 

That's not actually what an unauthorsied use chargeback is about - someone can log into their own eBay and PayPal account, but not use their own credit card to pay for a purchase - they don't actually even need to log into PayPal to do this; if you still have the PayPal payment notification, check which type it was. If the subject line was Item Number XXXXX: Notification of an Instant Payment Received from XXXX then the buyer logged into a PayPal account and you may be eleigible for seller protection if you have proof of postage. If subject line is just Notification of Payment Received, it means the buyer did not log into a PayPal account, and PayPal do not cover those types of payments, unfortunately.

Since the card details they use are not shared with the seller, you may never know exactly what happened (i.e. whether or not they used a card without permission and the real card holder is disputing the charge, or whether they did in fact use their own card and are claiming unauthorised use fraudulently).

If you do have proof of postage, I would upload the info to PayPal regardless of whether the payment is technically eligible for protection or not, as it may still help. If you are unsuccessful in fighting the chargeback, you could still try to pursue the buyer via other means, and report them to Online Fraud (if they are a local resident, and don't reimburse you voluntarily). 

We had a few charge back over the years as well.

The bit I don't get is how the perpetrator stole someone's credit card and manage to get the item delivered to the right address. He will need to hack someone's ebay account first and possible their paypal account as well. Where does he file the chargeback through then? The bank or paypal account?

The convenient explination is the buyer who had the goods delivered to his address stole his own credit card and filed the chargeback through his paypal account or his bank, with his credit card address different from his ebay account and paypal account as an excuse.

We haven't had any chargeback lately. We don't accept credit card directly through ebay.

Message 8 of 28
Latest reply

@black*poppy wrote:

@digital*ghost wrote:

. If the subject line was Item Number XXXXX: Notification of an Instant Payment Received from XXXX then the buyer logged into a PayPal account and you may be eleigible for seller protection if you have proof of postage. If subject line is just Notification of Payment Received, it means the buyer did not log into a PayPal account, and PayPal do not cover those types of payments, unfortunately.

Hi Ghost, can you explain that one a bit more fully?  How do you make a paypal payment without going through paypal? 

Sorry if I didn't make it clear - people can pay via PayPal without creating - or logging into - an account, but they're still using PayPal as the payment processor (hence the difference for SP eligibility purposes - as noted - is whether they log into an account ot not).

Message 9 of 28
Latest reply

There are a number reasons why chargebacks occur.

Sometimes with chargebacks it is actually the bank instigating the chargeback if the buyer hasn't made their credit card payment or if they have overspent on their credit card.

Sometimes son or daughter have got hold of the parents credit card and gone on a spending spree.

Other times if the card has been stolen after the item was purchased and the bank is notified of a stolen credit card then they try and claim back earlier purchases as unauthorised use.

If you are not going to be covered by Seller Protection then it could be worthwhile either emailing the buyer and asking them what is going on or ringing them.

Message 10 of 28
Latest reply