A charge back through paypal for stolen credit card, totally confused, help..

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just had a chargeback from a credit card company saying that the buyer said she did not authorise use of her credit card. How is that possible when all the passwords she would of gone through to purchase it, How can you say you did not purchase something through ebay and pay by paypal? 

.What do I need to do? She paid through PayPal.  

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

If subject line is just Notification of Payment Received, it means the buyer did not log into a PayPal account, and PayPal do not cover those types of payments, unfortunately.

DG - with the last chargeback I had the buyer payment came through under the heading of Notification of Payment Received and I was covered under the Seller Protection policy.

Message 11 of 28
Latest reply

@transoceania wrote:

The bit I don't get is how the perpetrator stole someone's credit card and manage to get the item delivered to the right address. He will need to hack someone's ebay account first and possible their paypal account as well. Where does he file the chargeback through then? The bank or paypal account?

If I, for some strange reason, decided to post a photograph of my Visa card in this thread, and then went one step further and provided the 3-digit number on the back, absolutely everyone who sees those numbers can then...

Log into their own eBay account, purchase something, proceed to checkout, use their own postage address or chage it to anyone else's, and pay via PayPal using those card details.

When i got my statement, there would be a whole bunch of purchases I - as the cardholder - never made, thus (if we ignore the fact that I willingly contributed to the fraud for a moment by posting the information for all and sundy) I would probably then make a whole bunch of unauthorised use chargebacks (unless I was feeling uncommnly generous). That would mean the people doing the buying did so without my permission, but my chargebacks are legitimate because it's my card and I didn't authorise the payments.

Message 12 of 28
Latest reply

@jensmanchester-australia wrote:

If subject line is just Notification of Payment Received, it means the buyer did not log into a PayPal account, and PayPal do not cover those types of payments, unfortunately.

DG - with the last chargeback I had the buyer payment came through under the heading of Notification of Payment Received and I was covered under the Seller Protection policy.

It may depend on when that chargeback was initiated and/or the payment made, because that eligibility requirement hasn't been in place all that long - less than a year, if memory serves. 

If the payment / chargeback was made after that new policy came in, then I have no idea.... Smiley LOL

Message 13 of 28
Latest reply

DG - that one was in September this year and the previous one which was in August this year came through with the same heading and both were covered under the Seller Protection Policy.

Message 14 of 28
Latest reply

I also get a Paypal Notification that just says 'You have received a payment'. I have never been sure why that is. That is not 'Notification of Payment'.

Message 15 of 28
Latest reply

DG - that one was in September this year and the previous one which was in August this year came through with the same heading and both were covered under the Seller Protection Policy.

Ok, well maybe it's not the heading that indicates whether a person has logged into an account. ?

I only know that every time I get a payment with that heading, if I check my account, it will say this:

unregistered.JPG

And the eligibility requirements for seller protection now say this:

Eligibility

S4.1 You must meet all of these requirements to be eligible for PayPal Seller Protection:

1. The item purchased must be a physical, tangible good (except vehicles);
  2. You receive payment via PayPal from a buyer’s PayPal account;
Message 16 of 28
Latest reply

We've experienced two of these in the past 12-monhs.

In the first case we argued against it and lost the $8.00 which the buyer had spent plus a $15 fee imposed by PayPal becasue we fought the case and lost. We emailed the buyer and they answered saying it was all some kind of big stuff-up and apologised in a roundabout kind of way. They then paid us (by bank transfer) for our losses including the fee. So all was good on that occasion.

On the 2nd occasion I called Paypal about it. The CSR (in the USA at the time) said its better not to fight these things (unless you qualify for seller protection) as the $15 fee will simply be added. Just accept liability and all we would lose is the sale amount, which was $5.50 this time. We emailed the buyer about this one too but all we got back was I don't know anything about this I will talk with my bank. Then we never heard any more and they never repaid us.

We can never fight any of these things because 99.9% of the time we use regular large letter and therefore mostly forfeit our seller protection against everything.

If you can prove lodgement of your item then you may win it. Paypal don't seem to care if/not its your fault all they want to see is the proof of postage and you are covered.

Message 17 of 28
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

The item has been posted to the address provided on the paypal account so did the person who also stole the credit card wait by her mailbox? Theft, fraud and probably someone who is short on paying their electricity bill. She didnt get her emails? The perpetrator has also hacked into her email account all for a 10.00 item, maybe for a dimond or a car but a skirt? Really? The chargeback is via a credit card company back through paypal. Will  I get some penalty on my dsr for this?

Message 18 of 28
Latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

The item has been posted to the address provided on the paypal account so did the person who also stole the credit card wait by her mailbox? Theft, fraud and probably someone who is short on paying their electricity bill. She didnt get her emails? The perpetrator has also hacked into her email account all for a 10.00 item, maybe for a dimond or a car but a skirt? Really? The chargeback is via a credit card company back through paypal. Will  I get some penalty on my dsr for this?

The address is provided by the person who makes the purchase, which is not necessarily the person who owns the card.

Like I said above, if I provided my own card details to another person, they can log into their onw accounts and get something send to them at their address - a persona can use everything of their own except the card, that's why you can see all these details that match, but that doesn't ever guarantee that the person who bought the item was authorsied to use the card that they did.

Message 19 of 28
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

Ok, well maybe it's not the heading that indicates whether a person has logged into an account. ?

I only know that every time I get a payment with that heading, if I check my account, it will say this:

unregistered.JPG

And the eligibility requirements for seller protection now say this:

Eligibility

S4.1 You must meet all of these requirements to be eligible for PayPal Seller Protection:

1. The item purchased must be a physical, tangible good (except vehicles);
  2. You receive payment via PayPal from a buyer’s PayPal account;

I guess I have a sense of disbelief about this and I'm even more suprised it's never come up before.... so I can lose SP through no fault of my own because I can't choose how the buyer pays through Paypal?  That feels like I should refund any payment associated with an email like that.

Message 20 of 28
Latest reply