A post for those of us who, actually, don't care about the fee changes.

Well maybe not 'don't care' but at least aren't whining and leaving ebay.

Before anyone accuses me of not knowing what I'm talking about because I have a low feedback score, I used to sell on a different account, and recently returned to ebay after a break.

Lets look at the facts here

Ebay changes 10% fees on sales. 10% is not an absurd number. I would think most people would be happy to get 90% of an assisted sale. If I went to a consignment shop I might get 50%, and ebay is providing a similar service to a much larger audience. I'd get 100% if I set up my own store or sold at the markets but then there is a lot more work, and perhaps more cost, involved in those options too.

Don't like it? Then go to one of the other websites for auctions. Oh, wait, is no one buying from you on those websites? Exactly the point. You are paying ebay, essentially, for advertising. You are paying for access to a HUGE customer base and trusted brandname which gives trust in your product (i.e. the feedback system and the knowledge ebay tries to keep scammers off).  I for one am happy to pay 10% to have a readymade store, customer base, and advertising. And it isn't even risky advertising, you only pay to advertise what you actually sell. Show me another company or group which will let me advertise and only pay for the successful ones!

And frankly, this system is 10 times better than the old system for us small sellers, despite the small sellers being the ones whining. I sold on a different account way back when I had to pay an insertion fee on every item, even though my product (clothing) is the sort of thing which does not sell quick and I might have sold a 1/4 of my listings the first time around. Those insertion fees hurt. And people keep saying this new system makes low value items impossible to sell with profit? I would put forward that the old system was far, far more unfriendly to low value items because insertion fees could be a huge chunk of the profits for sub $10 items, and then there was still FVF on top of that.

I love the new system. With a bit of care, these days, with relistings and free listing promotions I never have to pay insertion fees, ever. I can list items and let them sit until sold, which for my stock, clothes and books, is exactly what I need.

Now, postage is the other big whinging point.

Fact is, many sellers have been paying fees on postage ever since the free postage system came in because it was impossible to seperate postage from the sale price. This was unfair to them. This extra fee was a big deterent to using free postage which, like it or not, is something ebay wants to happen and is something which isn't going away. They had to remove the deterent somehow. By charging the same fee to reveryone, those already using the system are unaffected and those not using it might switch, or at least are on even footing with the rest.

If you don't like paying a 10% fee to have access to what is essentually a huge online consignment store then go to another website and see how much your profits soar when you aren't paying that 10% fee, or do the math on how the old insertion fee system used to work (better for some, worse for others). Work the postage fee into your selling price like those using free postage have done for years. And stop whinging that you can't get something for nothing and you have to actually pay to have access to what ebay has built.

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

If identifying and articulating issues regarding poor communication of changes, lack of fair notice of changes, inconsistent information of the nature and detail of the changes, etc etc puts me in the category of complainers I would much rather be in that group so stereotype and dismiss to your hearts content OP  Cat Happy

Message 11 of 26
Latest reply

So nice to see a positive thread on here for a change.
Message 12 of 26
Latest reply

@van_werkhoven wrote:

Now, postage is the other big whinging point.

Fact is, many sellers have been paying fees on postage ever since the free postage system came in because it was impossible to seperate postage from the sale price. This was unfair to them. This extra fee was a big deterent to using free postage which, like it or not, is something ebay wants to happen and is something which isn't going away. They had to remove the deterent somehow. By charging the same fee to reveryone, those already using the system are unaffected and those not using it might switch, or at least are on even footing with the rest.

If FREE POST was actually FREE to the consumer I would offer it on ALL of my listings.

But I don't, I only offer it on those listings where I wear the 100% profit loss on post charge and my buyers are actually provided a FREE post service. 

Message 13 of 26
Latest reply

@harley_babes_hoard wrote:
So nice to see a positive thread on here for a change.
Yes, I suppose that a thread that essentially bags other sellers for posting selling concerns or having a vent on the boards about eBay changes might be viewed as positive by a few regulars.
Message 14 of 26
Latest reply

Hear, Hear!!! You've got my vote.

Such a shame that the other side of the coin can't be seen, and understood by some.
Message 15 of 26
Latest reply

I have been selling full time on ebay for a couple of years after giving my previous proffesion away for health reasons. I have made a very good living from ebay and my business is still growing. My main growth is coming from international sales but the FVF on international postage is an excessive and unfair burden on some sellers. A 2 kg. item woth $40-$50 can cost $50-$60 to mail overseas. Add another $6.00 FVF on postage and it more than doubles the commision ebay are taking from my sale. I dont mind paying a fair fee for the services and buyer traffic that ebay provide but find the FVF on postage to be very unfair and discrimative.  I agree with the OP and other posters that ebay is still the only game in town and can still be quite a profitable sales venue. I would like to continue to build my business but constant changes, erratic senior managment decisions, lack of respect for sellers and the risk of account restrictions mean I dont have the confidence to continue growing my sales. I am investing considerable time and capital to establish another business to reduce my reliance on ebay. Ebay is not all gloom and doom and still offers a reasonable way to sell products. Its a pity management cant provide a consistant, reliable selling platform that encourages people to use it, rather than turning people away.

Message 16 of 26
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

The issue I take with the FVF, on postage specifically, is the removal of choice and the fact that it is charged on the postage the buyer pays, which can be a killer for those selling items that need to be sent by freight, thus incurring wildy varying selling costs depending on where the buyer is located, which makes it exceedingly difficult to price items accordingly (same applies when you consider things like international postage costs, which can mean more than $100 difference in postage costs in some cases, 

Thank you for explaining this, I can see that issue for some sellers. If you are unable to estimate postage before listing, it would be very difficult to add that cost to the auction. But wouldn't you still be able to add the amount when you invoice them? In a below example of it costing $60 to send a package overseas, I personally would charge $70 postage to cover my fees and packaging. (If they are already willing to pay $60 postage, I would assume an extra $10 wouldn't cause them to turn away). FVF is now a 'postage cost' in my opinion, as it is charged on the postage. 

I admit I don't know as much about that side of it, I only use satchels and boxes. But with freight, don't you add that to the invoice after sale because the price varies not just between states but between metro/rural? If you add it afterwards, again, why can't you just tack the extra 10% onto that? An item with $100 freight is now $110 to post? If you are able to collect adequite postage somehow, no matter where it's being sent, then why can you not collect it with the 10% added on when you determine the postage cost for the location?

Message 17 of 26
Latest reply

VAN - I  take it from your responses that you dont mail overseas on a regular basis and so have little understanding of the consequences of ebays FVF policy on some sellers. Australia Posts costs are already very high by world standards. In part this is because of international postal agreements it signed many years ago with other countries. Under these agreements ( as I understand it ) AP delivers incoming international mail at a very nominal sum. With the internet boom Australians are importing many more parcels than we are exporting. This is preasuring APs bottom line to the extent that it has pushed up parcel costs for Australian online sellers to try to balance the books. Result is we have much higher international post costs than many other competing countries. ( have you looked at Chinese sellers post costs to Australia recently ? )

Ebay being a global company does not appear to have factored this into its recent FVF on postage decision. Our high International postage costs have been a factor in me losing a very large number of sales already ( maybe 50 % of potential international sales ) If I add another 10% to cover the FVF on postage the costs are embarrising to be honest. As a result I absorb this extra cost most of the time, cutting deep into my profit margins. I figure its still better to have some profit from a growing sector of my business rather than no sale, no profit and a contracting business. Essentially what it means is I am paying ebay 25% commision on my overseas sales rather than the 10-12% for local sales. The same equations can be applied to sellers of low value, parcel sized items on the local market. If you mail an item as a small parcel you pay ebay 25% commision on item sale price, ( even if you add it to your customers postage cost )  if you post in an envelope you pay 12%. This does not seem to be a fair and equitable system. If you want to call it whinging, go ahead.  I prefer to think I am constructivly raising a valid concern regarding a major flaw in the ebay system.

Message 18 of 26
Latest reply

@van_werkhoven wrote:

@digital*ghost wrote:

The issue I take with the FVF, on postage specifically, is the removal of choice and the fact that it is charged on the postage the buyer pays, which can be a killer for those selling items that need to be sent by freight, thus incurring wildy varying selling costs depending on where the buyer is located, which makes it exceedingly difficult to price items accordingly (same applies when you consider things like international postage costs, which can mean more than $100 difference in postage costs in some cases, 

Thank you for explaining this, I can see that issue for some sellers. If you are unable to estimate postage before listing, it would be very difficult to add that cost to the auction. But wouldn't you still be able to add the amount when you invoice them? In a below example of it costing $60 to send a package overseas, I personally would charge $70 postage to cover my fees and packaging. (If they are already willing to pay $60 postage, I would assume an extra $10 wouldn't cause them to turn away). FVF is now a 'postage cost' in my opinion, as it is charged on the postage. 

I admit I don't know as much about that side of it, I only use satchels and boxes. But with freight, don't you add that to the invoice after sale because the price varies not just between states but between metro/rural? If you add it afterwards, again, why can't you just tack the extra 10% onto that? An item with $100 freight is now $110 to post? If you are able to collect adequite postage somehow, no matter where it's being sent, then why can you not collect it with the 10% added on when you determine the postage cost for the location?

It's possible with freight, which means there's no stated cost in the listing, not possible with anything else that does quote postage in a listing, such as calculated postage which simply pulls the exact cost from Australia Post based on their postcode or OS location, and the seller is able to add in a handling fee as well, but again for some sellers, adding in the maximum amount of FVF a seller may have to pay means an unnecessarily increased price for anyone who wouldn't incur the highest P&H cost, which in turn is likely to affect sales. Not quoting postage costs also affects rankings, and will definitely affect visibility if selling internationally, so it puts some sellers in a difficult position, and for some it could even mean that they can really only be cost effective to buyers local to them. 

FVF on postage is a bit tricky - technically it's a business cost so technically it can't be added to postage charges. 

The thing is, to me, ebay 'encouraging' sellers to follow a particular business model that is wholly unsuitable for many sellers is problematic at best, and leaving the seller's perspective aside for a moment, it also localises competition to smaller areas in the above scenario, and reduces consumer choice. 

chameleon's post has actually highlighted something really important... Consider this for a moment:

" I would like to continue to build my business but constant changes, erratic senior managment decisions, lack of respect for sellers and the risk of account restrictions mean I dont have the confidence to continue growing my sales."

Then think about the fact that the new fee structure can often mean the costs to put stock on eBay are minimal, and can even be $0.

That is, it can cost almost nothing but time (and a little hope :D) to invest in building a business on eBay as opposed to some other selling venues (stock costs and sales fees notwithstanding), and they do boast a huge buyer base, yet experienced sellers do not have the confidence to do so. That to me is very telling about the current state of things, and should be a genuine concern for eBay to address. 

It is not all doom and gloom - I'm not trying to be "that girl". Smiley LOL Like I said, my items are relatively suited to, or at least unscathed by, a lot of the new fee structure, and my own business is growing at a satisfactory rate. As far as eBay investing in the site and making improvements, well I love the variation format, and I give a soft clap for the postage rate tables (could be better, but at least it's a start). I just hope they invest a little in seller confidence, one day. 

Message 19 of 26
Latest reply

Hi

I would like to add to this discussion...I have had experience in running (and payng for) e-commerce sites and I can assure all the complainers that Ebay's costs are miniscule compared to tho costs incurred when running your own platform.

For me, its that simple. Yes, there are numerous faults with the system but ebay offers a ready made worldwide market. I defy anyone to find or create something that is as affordable and sophisticated as Ebay.

I am continually learning about the best ways of using the Ebay system and my sales are steadily increasing.

Thanks!

Message 20 of 26
Latest reply