ADCHOICE ADVERTISEMENTS

This is a topic that has been niggling at me for quite some time...

Why should a business that does not sell on ebay be able to advertise the exact same product as me on MY POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS' screens when they are looking at MY ITEM, only to be redirected to the website of my OPPOSITION?

This just seems LUDICROUS! I am paying my fees (hefty ones, I might add) to sell my products on ebay. This just SHOULD NOT HAPPEN.

It's like going to Pizza Hut's website with an add on there for specials at Domino's???

Why is this happening ebay? Surely, your loyalty should be to YOUR fee-paying customers?

NOT HAPPY EBAY Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

ADCHOICE ADVERTISEMENTS

I agree

However, the p[eople who advertise also pay eBay fees, and my guess it is a whole lot more than the FVF's that the item that their add appears on attracts.

If the add does direct them away from your listing (which seems like a really weird concept to me *but*) then it is unlikely that you will be paying the FVF on that item anyway.

eBay charge you to advertise your product for sale, they don't guarantee exclusivity or that the spot where you advertise won't contain other advertisements as well.

It's a bit rude, but what can ya do?

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

ADCHOICE ADVERTISEMENTS

its more than rude its detrimental to ebay as the redirection can lead to a loss of many sales where the losses would far outweigh the potential gain from one click on the link ebay provides. Some not so savvy buyers may think the link is a part of ebay and could save the page or website they were redirected to and do all their shopping from there in the future, or it simply advises buyers of a new alternative place to shop and compare prices and goods.

This has succesfully steered me away from ebay which has caused a loss of a few sales from ebay, I was looking for something on ebay and about to buy it but found it cheaper on another website thanks to ebays advertising, I had since purchased 3 more items from that website which I most certainly would have otherwise purchased from ebay.

As a buyer I'm ok with more options it but as a seller I think its a disgusting, ridiculous idea to advertise for the competition.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

ADCHOICE ADVERTISEMENTS

yes, but ebay gets paid for that advertisement and if the other site didn't get any purchases, they may reconsider where they spend their advertising budget next time. If they're getting sales and traffic, they will keep advertising and providing income for ebay.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

ADCHOICE ADVERTISEMENTS

The advertiser I am referring to does not sell on ebay...

So, I find it hypocritical that we, as sellers, are forbidden to direct people to a website for outside sales. However, others can? Just not right in my opinion.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

ADCHOICE ADVERTISEMENTS

I too am unhappy with the adverts popping up to distract potential buyers.

I hate the adverts that rehash sites I have looked at recently. I looked at Gumtree for a bicycle two months ago. And ever since I get adverts for bikes all over Australia.

I really hate getting them at the top of my pages while trying to relist my items as it just distracts me. And the most annoying part is they told me they were recycling adverts from pages that I already visited.

I do have some good news though.

While being annoyed by them I clicked on the top right hand corner and found a way to permanently banish them.

Now I just need to tell all Ebay's six million active customers about it.

It is the little blue arrow like thing in the topright hand corner.

ENJOY!!!!!!!

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

ADCHOICE ADVERTISEMENTS

It really isn't ethical when you think about it.  Imagine taking out an ad in a Newspaper or magazine, and they put another add inside your space for something from your opposition.

It's the same thing they're doing here.  They probably not only gain the advertising fees, but a cut from any sales as well.  

I can see the next thing offered by ebay, ad-free stores/space, at a higher price of course.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

ADCHOICE ADVERTISEMENTS

@gel-polish-emporium wrote:

The advertiser I am referring to does not sell on ebay...

So, I find it hypocritical that we, as sellers, are forbidden to direct people to a website for outside sales. However, others can? Just not right in my opinion.

I get what you're saying, but the point is - when we direct sales away from eBay, eBay recover no revenue. When they direct sales away from eBay, they are still receiving revenue.

They may not sell on eBay, but they pay to have their adds there, just like you do.

Our listings are advertisements (invitations to treat, to be precise) and eBay receives renumeration for our advertising via fees charged on sales whilst using their site.

The other advertisers also pay a fee to have their advertisements appear on the site - they are just a different kind of customer accessing a different service that ebay offers, than we as sellers do.

They're no different to us, they just have a different fee structure to us.

Youn too can pay to advertise what you want to sell, on eBay, even if you don't want to sell off site.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply