AUSTRALIA POST: No more signatures required for overseas registered items.

So for those of you who don't already know I work for Aussie Post.

Today one of the delivery managers addressed over 400 of us at a regular meeting and informed us that as of today:

"Posties and parcel contractors will no longer be required to get a signature from a customer when delivering an overseas registered item".

After the cheers had died down there was a lot of head scratching as to why this was the case. Funnily enough nobody bothered to ask why. 

Items will still be scanned on delivery but just no signature required. I wonder if people sending signature items from overseas are aware of this? I also wondered if this will be eventually reciprocated in other countries.  

Just letting my fellow eBay nutters in on what's going down.

Message 1 of 69
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AUS POST UPDATE

We noticed that in the last couple of days some of the international registered items came up on our scanners as requiring a signature. As usual there was confusion and a lot of head scratching.

Today we were all called to a meeting where we were officially informed that as of today:

ALL OVERSEAS REGISTERED SIGNATURE ITEMS WILL AGAIN REQUIRE A SIGNATURE.  

I did enquire as to why there had been a backflip and as to why the change had been made in the first place but was met with some shoulder shrugging. I was told that they had received an email from head office in Melbourne that wasn't accompanied by any explaination.

This should be good news for most. Smiley Happy  

View solution in original post

Message 63 of 69
Latest reply
68 REPLIES 68

I can almost see the next step to this "let's charge for international mail deliveries, since we don't make any money on them......."

As a buyer I see this as a retrograde step by AP, most of my OS parcels are fairly inexpensive but some do add up to a few hundred dollars where SOD is an essential part of making sure of delivery to me, and proof of delivery for the seller.

Not a good idea AP at all for the sake of a minute or two getting that signature off the recipient.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 69
Latest reply

It takes much more than a minute or two to get a single signature.

When I first started in the 1990's I might have gotten 3 signature items a day. Signed for by hand in a book.

These days because of the internet (eBay, Amazon etc) I might have as many as 30 items which require a scanner signature. It can add an hour on to your run time.

Some blokes in some areas get 70 or 80 items. It's amazing the millions of tiny packages coming out of China. Aussie Post delivered over 4 billion mail items in 2014. 

It's probably gonna save a lot of overtime in the long run.

Message 3 of 69
Latest reply

@sydney-diecast-kingdom wrote:

When I first started in the 1990's I might have gotten 3 signature items a day. Signed for by hand in a book.

These days because of the internet (eBay, Amazon etc) I might have as many as 30 items which require a scanner signature. It can add an hour on to your run time.

Some blokes in some areas get 70 or 80 items. It's amazing the millions of tiny packages coming out of China. Aussie Post delivered over 4 billion mail items in 2014. 

The majority of the time is the scanning of each parcel, which you will still have to do, the signature part takes a few seconds and that safe guards Australia post as much as the customer. If Aus Post really wants to make some money make the postal costs a lot more ressonible so Aus sellers can compete with the Chinese sellers. I can not see this saving any time at all for posties.

Message 4 of 69
Latest reply

Going onto someone's property, ringing the doorbell and waiting for them to come to the door, takes a lot more than a few seconds.  That's if someone is home !!

Message 5 of 69
Latest reply

Are you red AP or Blue Post?  Piece work or hourly hire?

StarTrack is no longer delivering registered mail from overseas so the posties and contractors are going to have a lot more of that sort of mail.  I suspect the powers that be realise that they would not be able to deliver a lot of parcels that need signatures so just cut it out altogether.

Message 6 of 69
Latest reply

Today one of the delivery managers addressed over 400 of us at a regular meeting and informed us that as of today:

"Posties and parcel contractors will no longer be required to get a signature from a customer when delivering an overseas registered item".

Thanks for passing this on, but I have to say that's a pretty big kick in the teeth (by AP) for OS senders, particularly those who have sold an item of high enough value that SOD is required for seller protection. 

I suppose the answer has to be 'yes', but I'm actually pretty disappointed that would even be allowed under the UPU agreement, because that also means it works both ways. 

Just another reason for me to continue using couriers to have my OS orders delivered to me, I guess. Costs more, but at least I can ensure I get the service I've paid for and my packages are safely delivered. 

Message 7 of 69
Latest reply

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

The majority of the time is the scanning of each parcel, which you will still have to do, the signature part takes a few seconds.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not so.

SIGNATURE ITEM:

* You have to ring the doorbell, buzzer, intercom etc.

* On many occassions you have to do this at least twice

* You have to explain who you are and what you have

* Sometimes people say "I'll be out in a minute" and take forever

* Sometimes people aren't home and you have to enter those details in the scanner and physically write out a card which can have up to 20 or more digits on it

* If the person is home you have to physically enter their name into the scanner with a pointer one letter at a time (try typing a Thai name)

* If someone is elderly, non-English speaking, or lives on the top floor you can add more time to this process

NON-SIGNATURE:

* Scan and pop in letterbox 

Spoiler

Message 8 of 69
Latest reply

Exactly!

Message 9 of 69
Latest reply

Red. Full time for the last 21 years.

Message 10 of 69
Latest reply