AUSTRALIA POST: No more signatures required for overseas registered items.

So for those of you who don't already know I work for Aussie Post.

Today one of the delivery managers addressed over 400 of us at a regular meeting and informed us that as of today:

"Posties and parcel contractors will no longer be required to get a signature from a customer when delivering an overseas registered item".

After the cheers had died down there was a lot of head scratching as to why this was the case. Funnily enough nobody bothered to ask why. 

Items will still be scanned on delivery but just no signature required. I wonder if people sending signature items from overseas are aware of this? I also wondered if this will be eventually reciprocated in other countries.  

Just letting my fellow eBay nutters in on what's going down.

Message 1 of 69
Latest reply
68 REPLIES 68

I have lots of chores in my job that take longer than I would like as well.

I keep doing them though, because it's my job, and if anything, I try to think of better, more efficient ways to do it.

I don't mean this post as a dig at posties, I fully understand how horribly time consuming and annoying SOD packages can be, and how attractive the option of just not doing it anymore is, but that is - JMHO - the worst solution. 

Message 11 of 69
Latest reply

I can assure you I take my job very seriously and always do it to the best of my ability including in every condition from 46 degree heat to severe thunderstorms. 

Posties didn't make this decision. Australia Post senior management did.

Message 12 of 69
Latest reply

@sydney-diecast-kingdom wrote:

I can assure you I take my job very seriously and always do it to the best of my ability including in every condition from 46 degree heat to severe thunderstorms. 

Posties didn't make this decision. Australia Post senior management did.

I definitely understand that, I never though anything different and hoped that came across at least in my last comment (i.e. "not having a dig at posties"). My apologies if it didn't.

Believe me, my only problem with AP is at the corporate / management level.

Message 13 of 69
Latest reply

No worries DG. 

Just because I work for Aussie Post dosen't mean I don't have issues with them as well. 😉

Message 14 of 69
Latest reply

Just wondering why YOU didn't ask for the reason behind it.

Or were you one of the applauders?

Message 15 of 69
Latest reply

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

The majority of the time is the scanning of each parcel, which you will still have to do, the signature part takes a few seconds.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not so.

SIGNATURE ITEM:

* You have to ring the doorbell, buzzer, intercom etc.

* On many occassions you have to do this at least twice

* You have to explain who you are and what you have

* Sometimes people say "I'll be out in a minute" and take forever

* Sometimes people aren't home and you have to enter those details in the scanner and physically write out a card which can have up to 20 or more digits on it

* If the person is home you have to physically enter their name into the scanner with a pointer one letter at a time (try typing a Thai name)

* If someone is elderly, non-English speaking, or lives on the top floor you can add more time to this process

NON-SIGNATURE:

* Scan and pop in letterbox 

Spoiler

You cant fit a parcel in a letter box. You will still have to go to the door for parcels so all the things you listed will still cost you time I am not sure how you are saying it will save you time unless what you are saying is Auspost will stop delivering parcels and just leave cards in the mail box. If so get ready to lose your job because the normal postie can take them about

Message 16 of 69
Latest reply

A postie can fit most parcels in a letterbox however the types of parcels that parcel contractors deliver would indeed fall into the category you mention. Still, there's big difference between leaving a parcel at the front door and having to get a signature. Trust me.

Message 17 of 69
Latest reply

Still, there's big difference between leaving a parcel at the front door and having to get a signature. Trust me.

Yep, there's a big difference in that some light-fingered mongrel can take off with a parcel worth potentially 1000's of dollars...............

I might be drawing a long bow here, but does anyone else see this new idea as being the thin end of the wedge for furthur cost cuttings at the expence of both the senders and the recipients of our (once wonderful) postal system ? 

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 18 of 69
Latest reply

@247newdeals wrote:

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

The majority of the time is the scanning of each parcel, which you will still have to do, the signature part takes a few seconds.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not so.

SIGNATURE ITEM:

* You have to ring the doorbell, buzzer, intercom etc.

* On many occassions you have to do this at least twice

* You have to explain who you are and what you have

* Sometimes people say "I'll be out in a minute" and take forever

* Sometimes people aren't home and you have to enter those details in the scanner and physically write out a card which can have up to 20 or more digits on it

* If the person is home you have to physically enter their name into the scanner with a pointer one letter at a time (try typing a Thai name)

* If someone is elderly, non-English speaking, or lives on the top floor you can add more time to this process

NON-SIGNATURE:

* Scan and pop in letterbox 

Spoiler

You cant fit a parcel in a letter box. You will still have to go to the door for parcels so all the things you listed will still cost you time I am not sure how you are saying it will save you time unless what you are saying is Auspost will stop delivering parcels and just leave cards in the mail box. If so get ready to lose your job because the normal postie can take them about

Posties are only supposed to deliver parcels that can fit in the letterbox....anything larger goes with BluePost contractors.  That used to include StarTrack but now the powers that be have decided that StarTrack will no longer take overseas registered.

Message 19 of 69
Latest reply

A postie can fit most parcels in a letterbox however the types of parcels that parcel contractors deliver would indeed fall into the category you mention. Still, there's big difference between leaving a parcel at the front door and having to get a signature. Trust me.

I still do not see how this will save time contractors will still have to knock on the door they are not just going to leave it without knocking also they better not leave any of my parcels at the door most are worth hundreds of dollars on the rare occasion I am not there a slip is left for me to pick it up from the post office no change there no time saved.

And the normal postie does not even come to my door they just leave a slip saying to go to the post office to pick it up and most of the items that fit in the letter box are not tracked and do not require a signature. Unless where you are the service is vastly different to any I have received while being in Australia I can not see and time being saved. The signature is a safe guard for the sender the receiver and Aus post.

If I paid for a signature I would be disappointed and to be honest would stop posting to Australia. Anyone sending items to Aus will have no protection from fraudulent claims 

Message 20 of 69
Latest reply