AUSTRALIA POST: No more signatures required for overseas registered items.

So for those of you who don't already know I work for Aussie Post.

Today one of the delivery managers addressed over 400 of us at a regular meeting and informed us that as of today:

"Posties and parcel contractors will no longer be required to get a signature from a customer when delivering an overseas registered item".

After the cheers had died down there was a lot of head scratching as to why this was the case. Funnily enough nobody bothered to ask why. 

Items will still be scanned on delivery but just no signature required. I wonder if people sending signature items from overseas are aware of this? I also wondered if this will be eventually reciprocated in other countries.  

Just letting my fellow eBay nutters in on what's going down.

Message 1 of 69
Latest reply
68 REPLIES 68

@lyndal1838 wrote:

My post particularly referred to overseas registered and signature required which is what this thread was all about initially.  StarTrack still delivers other parcels as do the normal AP parcel contractors.

My postman rarely has to leave anything at the PO as my box is quite big.   If it is too big for the postbox the contractor brings it and leaves in a safe drop area that I have used for years.

StarTrack still deliver my oversea registered and signature required parcels I got one yesterday. 

I just have a normal size post box if it does not fit the postie leaves a card never had one come to my door I thought they was not meant to get off their bikes.

Message 31 of 69
Latest reply

@247newdeals wrote:

@lyndal1838 wrote:

My post particularly referred to overseas registered and signature required which is what this thread was all about initially.  StarTrack still delivers other parcels as do the normal AP parcel contractors.

My postman rarely has to leave anything at the PO as my box is quite big.   If it is too big for the postbox the contractor brings it and leaves in a safe drop area that I have used for years.

StarTrack still deliver my oversea registered and signature required parcels I got one yesterday. 

I just have a normal size post box if it does not fit the postie leaves a card never had one come to my door I thought they was not meant to get off their bikes.

The posties do not have to get off their bike to deliver normal parcels but obviously they have to if they have to get a signature for any mail.  When a parcel is too large to fit the mailbox it is supposed to be delivered by the contractor.

My postie is a treasure.....we get a number of magazine subscriptions every month and if they all arrive on the same day he will bring them to the door for me as he knows I have mobility problems.

Message 32 of 69
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

@247newdeals wrote:

@lyndal1838 wrote:

The posties do not have to get off their bike to deliver normal parcels but obviously they have to if they have to get a signature for any mail.  When a parcel is too large to fit the mailbox it is supposed to be delivered by the contractor.

My postie is a treasure.....we get a number of magazine subscriptions every month and if they all arrive on the same day he will bring them to the door for me as he knows I have mobility problems.

Damn I have been ripped off my postie that I have now or in the past never get off their bikes if a signature is needed they just put a card in the letter box and ride off maybe once a week I hear the bike pull up and catch them before they can escape the rest I have to pick up from the PO. Same with the items that do not fit in the letter box they get carded. 

Thankfully all the major parcels (large) come Via StarTrack and they do a great job which is why I got a bit worried when you said they are no longer delivering signature parcels thankfully mine still does atm hopefully that want change would hate to have to go to the PO for large parcels most days that would be a pain.

Message 33 of 69
Latest reply

StarTrack still deliver local parcels.....my post referred to International registered which is what this thread was initially about.  It does seem top have strayed onto other signed for services though.

StarTrack will still card a parcel and leave it at the PO if you are not there to take delivery.  Because StarTrack is a courier service they do have to get a signature for most parcels unless it is marked with an Authority to Leave either by the seller or the receiver has a safe drop arrangement in place.

Message 34 of 69
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

StarTrack still deliver local parcels.....my post referred to International registered which is what this thread was initially about.  It does seem top have strayed onto other signed for services though.

StarTrack will still card a parcel and leave it at the PO if you are not there to take delivery.  Because StarTrack is a courier service they do have to get a signature for most parcels unless it is marked with an Authority to Leave either by the seller or the receiver has a safe drop arrangement in place.

StarTrack still delivered international registered parcels to me I got 1 just yesterday and get several every week. I know StarTrack will card if you are not there but except going to the post office I am at home all day and always work my post office trips around StarTrack parcel delivery. Which is about 4pm Monday and 2-3:30 tue-fri so I leave for the post office after 4pm 🙂

Message 35 of 69
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Digi, I know from experience that paypal has refused to accept UK mail that does not have tracking and SOD.

A few years ago I had a small packet with SOD go missing....supposedly signed for by me but it was not my signature when we finally managed to get a copy from AP.

I had opened a dispute through paypal as both the seller and I believed we were covered by paypal.  I got my refund at the seller's expense and when she appealed she was told quite bluntly that she had to have tracking and SOD to be covered.  This is when she and a lot of other UK sellers found out that really there was no Royal Mail service that would give them paypal protection....they needed to use a courier at great expense or take the risk that they would not have a claim made against them.

That's pretty terrible (just the circumstances in general, I mean). If you can say one good thing about Australia Post, it's that at least they recognised the growing need for proof of postage / delivery and have taken some steps to address that (a little less so when it comes to international services, admittedly, particularly if you want tracking, SOD and insurance on a single package, as then the only options are express services). 

Message 36 of 69
Latest reply

You are well organised....congratulations.  Most people have no idea when their posties and couriers are likely to deliver.

Are you in a suburban area or country?   StarTrack deliver different items in rural/country to what they do in the city.   My information on non delivery of International registered was based on deliveries originating from Greenacre in Sydney...they are not delivered in Sydney CBD.

Message 37 of 69
Latest reply

not replying to Lyndal but OP. 

I had a shock 2 days ago when I found my $1000 jewelry parcel sitting in my postbox, with the value of the contents written clearly on the outside! I didn't know about this change & had been waiting to sign or a little note to collect in my postbox. I was appauled, especially since it cost close to $100 to have it posted "priority" from the US.

You realy wonder what you pay for.

Message 38 of 69
Latest reply

If it came from overseas it has to have a Customs declaration with the correct value clearly stated on the outside of the package.

Was it a signed for package?

Message 39 of 69
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

Just wondering why YOU didn't ask for the reason behind it.

Or were you one of the applauders?

Deafening silence.

Message 40 of 69
Latest reply