An Effort to Alert Buyers

The problem is getting the message across to buyers.

They do not 'attend' these forums.

I am adding a message - with the understanding - most buyers do not read - to each & every one of my listings.

I am lost for another solution..

In each package sent I include a flyer with info on the  item etc will be adding this to the flyer.

Just alerting one buyer is an improvement on the current situation.

I am asking all for improvements to my message - any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

IMPORTANT: INFO FOR BUYERS

We as Buyers are having a decimating impact on Australian Sellers

The newly introduced 'defect' system ie: the Detailed Seller Rating Stars are now a great part of the Feedback System.

These ratings if not an honest reflection of a sale will see your favourite Australian Sellers disappear from eBay.

A score of 3 & below become a 'defect' & be aware these ratings are no longer anonymous & could cause a block from the seller.

When purchasing do as you would do if in a store.

Do not just go by the 'pic' read the description - all you need to know is usually there.

This will help you if your item is not as described & save a lot of time & effort in having to return the item usually at your expense.

Ask a question - before buying - communication is not only expected from the seller.

Consider the postage costs & time - if the postage seems too high or the time stated for posting does not suit you - do not buy.

Sellers do not control the postal system anymore than they control the weather.

Consider the Seller's previous Feedback - always a good indication of the experience of others.

Keep in mind purchases from China are cheap but expensive to return with proof of posting for PayPal protection.

Message 1 of 73
Latest reply
72 REPLIES 72

A lot of buyers dont leave feedback nowdays. Some of them because they were slightly unhappy with the purchase or some aspect of it. Sending any kind of note that insists the buyer leave positive feedback and/or good dsrs is pretty much going to encourage the slightly unhappy to be even more unhappy and probably impact your feedback the wrong way.

Buyers want their item, they want it in stock, they want it delivered on time and they want it in good condition....thats it. The last thing they want to read is a poor me message about hard hard it is for small sellers on ebay and how the big guys get all the breaks.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 31 of 73
Latest reply

I am no fan of the defect system, but TBH I have always thought it wasn't the greatest idea for sellers to take the "here's my achilles heel, don't shoot it" approach. Smiley Embarassed

I understand the idea of needing to do something to try and defend against the potential effects of the new system, and the concern over the actions of some who don't understand what kind of effect their actions can have, but I agree that if nothing else, buyers don't want or need that responsibility - and in a perfect world, they wouldn't have it - but I honestly think shifting focus from the buyer and transaction to what the buyer thought of the transaction and how they review it is a self-defeating action. 

A few years back, I stumbled upon this little gem, which is a particularly unique, manipulative and patronising guilt trip, IMO:

Spoiler
-_-
Message 32 of 73
Latest reply

Brilliant...Ring ring...Oh printer can I change my order

Message 33 of 73
Latest reply

I don't encourage buyers to leave me feed back, you can never tell what they'll leave.Smiley Surprised

Message 34 of 73
Latest reply

I agree with punch*drunk in that buyers just want their product etc.

We've probably all made purchases from online vendors without feedback systems and probably never gave it a thought.  I buy from EzyDVD a lot - a reaaaal lot.  I do not care one iota how many bad customers they've had.  I order, they communicate where needed and I get my movie.  Simple.

I'm also glad they don't get a computer to send me an auto response (and feedback) when I make a purchase.  Do you think the buyer cares about that too?  It's a bit insulting really.

"Hi human.  I've got a pre defined message for you that shows the seller is pretending to be interested in you as a buyer, much like the counter personnel at McDonalds really cares about your order".

And now I want to buy from some of you just so I can give 1 star for treating me like an object with an automated message.  I mean, when you call XYZ and hear "Thank you for calling XYZ.  Your call is important to us and blah blah blah", does that make you feel like you're valued?

Anyway, go for it Helen.  I personally would think a brief note, or email outlining the situation demonstrates some genuine interest in the relationship.

It's just a pity eBay sides with the bad buyer rather than the profit end of the transaction.  How stupid are they?

Message 35 of 73
Latest reply

A lot of buyers don't read descriptions, some don't even read the titles.

Buyers who leave negs and neutrals don't read that little pop up that asks if they'd like to contact the seller to resolve any issues before leaving the negs and neutrals.

I get buyers who ask questions and don't even read the entire reply, so they ask questions that have already been addressed.

Why on earth would they want to read a flyer?

Message 36 of 73
Latest reply

@bigbrickshop wrote:

Our message on the auto eBay Posted email is

Hello {B_FIRSTNAME}, Thank you for your purchase & prompt payment.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding your purchase please feel free to contact me. Thank you, your business is much appreciated.

Regards,
Myname

Our note enclosed with parcels is a Thank You for your purchase and Please contact us if there are any questions or concerns followed by personal contact info.

NO mention of feedback

NO mention of DSRs

I didn't know you could make a personalised auto eBay Posted email. How do you do that?

Message 37 of 73
Latest reply

It is in your My eBay > Account > Manage Communication with Buyers. Go to Posted and click on Add Message.

http://k2b-email.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?CustomizeEmailToBuyer&templateId=10

Message 38 of 73
Latest reply

Thank you!

Message 39 of 73
Latest reply

I usually give 5 stars, I don't if there is any mention either in the listing or in the parcel that the seller wants me to leave 5 stars, the OPs tirade would have me leaving less than 4 for sure.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 40 of 73
Latest reply