Any ideas anyone regarding Promotions Manager email ?

I must be my own worst enemy.  I receive this invitation email and get all excited !

(Sorry, can't get it all in one screenshot, but this gives you the idea)

Protion Manager email.png

So off I go all excited and create a Promotion, then wonder, after waiting 24 hours why it doesn't appear to be showing on my selected items.  In Manage my Store or wherever it is, the promotion is showing as 'Active".

Mmmm, off I go & check the fine print and find this  :-

Anchor Stores only.png

Why send an Invitation email with such an exciting offer to a Basic Store then ??  So deflating - but why was I allowed to activate the offer and why now is it showing as active, but I can't see it on any of my listings ?  I feel like I've been cheated !!  Smiley Mad

Anyone else had the same bad experience ?

In re-reading the fine print, and before noticing it was Anchor Stores only, I did notice it only applies to BIN, so to put the record straight - I applied the promotion to a particular Store Category & had revised several items to BIN only as I also have Make Offer on 99% of my items.  Initially I thought that may have been my problem.  Thank goodness I didn't go through all the listings and change them !

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

That's not right.... I have a featured store (so not anchored) and I've been using the promotions manage for over a month. o_O

Are you sure you haven't been whisked away to another site where the rules are different? It's happening more and more to me lately and half the time I don't even notice until I see something not quite right (like the weirdo icons they have in the US Smiley LOL ). 

I got that email too, and have been meaning to set one up, so will go take a look and see how I go - I'll report back soon. 

Message 2 of 28
Latest reply

I just read through your post properly.... sorry, I completely missed what the issue was. Smiley Embarassed

I'm pretty sure everyone with a store can now use the promotions manager, and since you were able to create one it should be all good to go, so there's probably a different reason why it's not showing.

The first one I tried to create didn't seem to work at first (I applied it to eBay categories, but even though I had heaps of items in that category, the promotions didn't show up on any of them and in the store, where the banner is, it had "Sold Out" across the promo. o_O). Then I changed it to store categories and it suddenly showed up.

It might be that revising the items and changing the format did something... I'd try suspending the promo, then re-activating it and seeing if that works (or, in other words, the eBay equivalent of "have you tried turning it off and then back on again? 😄 ). 

Message 3 of 28
Latest reply

Thanks so much digi, and sorry, there were actually several issues in my post but your responses encouraged me to 'fiddle' a little more.  As I had already nominated just one entire store category, I tried putting the promo on hold & the system acknowledged.  So then I took off hold, still nothing.  Tried the reverse of what you suggested & used eBay Categories, still nothing.  In the end, I used Whole Store and filtered by price range & that appears to have worked but actually includes the wine glass charms as well as the charms, but that's fine - at least it now seems to be working ! Blow me down !

There I was thinking it was a pretty basic promo to run & being my first wanted to use it as a sort of trial & then depending how it goes, would like to run one on the more expensive items once I see how it goes - both operationally and results wise & with such a good offer would like to set it up to run for at least a week before 29th Smiley LOL

Somewhere also I read the Promotions Manager is Free to use 'at present' suggesting it may not be in the future, but do you think I can find that again to post a screen shot, but it will be worth watching out for down the track.  They'll probably get us all hooked on the idea & then start charging Smiley Frustrated

Message 4 of 28
Latest reply

@mbselections00 wrote:

Somewhere also I read the Promotions Manager is Free to use 'at present' suggesting it may not be in the future, but do you think I can find that again to post a screen shot, but it will be worth watching out for down the track.  They'll probably get us all hooked on the idea & then start charging Smiley Frustrated

I'm pretty sure I've seen that too. That was one of the things I baulked at on another site (when I first looked into the "other" Australian site, I saw that they charged a fee to run a percentage-off sale but I couldn't really see how that was justified since nothing changed except the price of an item - as far as I could see, anyway). 

eBay seem to be running promotion campaigns, though, leading people to marked down items, so it could eventually be just a new way sellers can pay to spam searches. Smiley Frustrated

Message 5 of 28
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

@mbselections00 wrote:

I'm pretty sure I've seen that too. That was one of the things I baulked at on another site (when I first looked into the "other" Australian site, I saw that they charged a fee to run a percentage-off sale but I couldn't really see how that was justified since nothing changed except the price of an item - as far as I could see, anyway). 

eBay seem to be running promotion campaigns, though, leading people to marked down items, so it could eventually be just a new way sellers can pay to spam searches. :smileyfrustrated:

I also found details of Promoted Listings when I went to one of the links in the Promo email (sounded way too complicated & risky to me)   I like the KISS theory, lol   :-

Promoted Listings.png

Also the way I see it, the problem with running too many promotion campaigns, they could almost become less effective as they appear to be the 'norm' and the big guys seem to 'up' their prices to cover the discounts - I would hate to think any of my buyers thought for one second that I would do that.  I would think also that you would have to be careful if you ran them too often that buyers may hold off ordering waiting for a sale - just a thought, talking out loud you might say  Smiley LOL

Message 6 of 28
Latest reply

I got the email last week, but can see no way to accept the offer. I assume it is because I don't have an anchored store. I'm certainly not going to do a promo without the FVF waiver.

Message 7 of 28
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

I got the email last week, but can see no way to accept the offer. I assume it is because I don't have an anchored store. I'm certainly not going to do a promo without the FVF waiver.

No digi and I aren't Anchored either dave, but it did work for both of us & I'm only a basic store.  I'm pretty sure I just went to the 'See how easy it is to use' link in the email and it worked from that, well eventually !  I didn't get a message like you do with Free Listings though, I just created the Promotion and it should as Activated - so hopefully the sales will flood in Smiley LOL and I can check there are no FVFees !!

Good luck with it.  Heading out, but will check back later & see how you went

Message 8 of 28
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

My understanding of the T&Cs (which may or may not be incorrect), is that you don't need to accept like you do with bonus free listings, it's just active for sellers who received the email and create a qualifying promotion during the mentioned dates (some promos are excluded).

I haven't had anyone take up my current promo yet, so I can't guarantee it, but I'll come back and confirm (or deny :D) once I can verify, (unless someone else can do it before I get a qualifying sale). 

Message 9 of 28
Latest reply

Yes I am in the same boat.  Featured store. Received the email and have a promotion running now.  No sales so we will see if the waiving of the FVF works should I get a sale on the promotion.

Message 10 of 28
Latest reply