Anyone else had their selling account restricted?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I woke up to an email from eBay saying I could no longer list items in the clothing, shoes and accessory section. I'm not sure why. I'm really only an occasional seller and haven't had much luck selling the couple of BNIN shoes I've had in 2014 due to the fact that a large amount of people have been buying/bidding on items and not paying. 
I'm so confused as to why this would happen, my account is in good standing and I have only ever once had an item removed for the excuse that it was fake, and when I contacted eBay and offered to prove the item was genuine with a receipt no one ever answered, I ended up re-listing the item and it sold to a happy buyer who left glowing feedback. 

"After review and careful consideration, we've taken the following action on your eBay account: 

-       Indefinitely restricted your account from listing in the Clothing, Shoes and Accessories category. You won't be able to list items in this category any longer"

and a little down in the email:

"We felt it was necessary to take this action to keep eBay safe (haha!).However, you can still list and sell items in other categories.

When we review an account for category restriction, we consider many things, including: 

- How much history the seller has selling in this category - this seems silly are they trying to say that eBay is only for experienced sellers now?

- Positive selling Feedback the seller has received for sales in this category  - I have no negative feedback. MY DRS are not 100% (or 5 out of 5 – whose are?) but using postage as an example - I find it a cop out to accept a sellers postage costs when buying or bidding and then giving the buyer the opportunity to decide if they postage cost was fair!

- Any Feedback that questions the authenticity of the items - don't have any of that?

- Unresolved disputes with buyers for these items - I have only one dispute and this was opened but won becuase I had proof the item was recieved. I have had a fair amount of unpaid item disputes opened against buyers - none against me as a buyer though.

- Whether the seller has followed eBay policies in the past. Yes, except for that isolated incident I talked about previously and that was last year and I was following the policies, they just decided that I wasn’t for themselves wihtout aksing me for proof that the item was authentic befor they pulled it.

- Previous account suspensions - not that I have been aware or notified of.

- The current status of the seller's account - in good standing, unless again there is something they are not telling me.

- Any supplier information that can't be verified" - don't use one.

I'm so confused about this. Could I really be restricted because OF DSR? I do not sell all the time, but it sucks that I can no longer sell in the area that I really need to be able to sell in right now as I'm assuming this decision is for good.

Can someone take a look at my account and see if you notice anything? I'll be honest I'm not very swift, I can't/don't offer postage discounts and etc and I'm really only a recreational seller but I’ve only ever had one case opened agaisnt me (that I won!)  and that was early last year and I actually was planing on using eBay a bit more in the next few months! I also use Clickandsend which ensured I could offer the lowest postage. I have also refunded postage cost if I ever over quoted, as I'm honest and I’m sure if a lot more buyers had left feed back my rating would be higher.

Argh just baffled! Sorry for blabbing. This happen to anyone else? What did your email say?

Message 1 of 43
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE:

I can't belive this but...I asked ever so kindly to please find out the exact reason why I was restrcted and to please not give me any bulk-auto answers so the guy put me on hold, came back and informed me that the reason I have been restricted for good is not becuase of actual fraud (the guy said that was only one of the reasons I may have been restricted - not one of the exact reaosns why) but becuase I was aparently listing a heap of items all at once 'out of nowhere' and they consided that suspcious behaviour (what the hell! If they wanted me to slowly build up my listsings then why did they move my allowence form 30 a month to 90!) and had to stop me selling in the clothing, shoes and accessories department because they deemed me "unsafe" in these areas only (even though I had things like Apple Tv and GoPro Hero 3 listed as well) but didn't provide an explanation on exaclty why or what was so unsafe about my listings. I then explained kindly that the reason I had recently upped my listings was that I had more things I wanted to sell on eBay and that they were all one off items and asked if the rep cared to somehow look at my last listings (that they removed) to show him I was simply listing a lot of items that I wanted to get rid of and that I wasn't at all trying to do anything else besides just that and that there were no two same/bulk items but he apologised and simply insisted that the decision is final and once my account had been flagged (for "over-listing as I'm now calling it) it had been reviewed and a final decision made and put in place. I'd love to know who done the reviewing and what sort of bat **bleep** crazy they were to actually think that I was an unsafe seller. I was told I'm welcome to list in other areas (HA! but aren't I "unsafe"?) and can still continue to buy (of course) but that I can no longer, for the life of eBay, list in clothing, shoes and accessories ever again.

Well I'm for sure done now! As soon as I'm clear to close my account (I had a recent sale) then I will be doing so and taking my sales to my local yard sale market. Thanks for thoes who answered. I hope this post might of some help to other people who might be in this situation. 

View solution in original post

Message 28 of 43
Latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

I don't know what type of clothing you were selling but this might be your answer - 

There was an announcement during March in relation to used clothing. - 

http://www2.ebay.com/aw/au/201403191937492.html

It refers to updates to the  policy for listing clothing as to what can/can't be sold on ebay.

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/used-clothing.html 

Sounds like ebay are coming into line with similar policies to some of our department stores that do not allow certain types of clothing to be returned - eg swimwear.

This might answer your questions!

Message 2 of 43
Latest reply

I have only ever once had an item removed for the excuse that it was fake, and when I contacted eBay and offered to prove the item was genuine with a receipt no one ever answered, I ended up re-listing the item and it sold to a happy buyer who left glowing feedback. 

If eBay removes a listing, my advice is never relist without getting the matter sorted with eBay first.  If you don't hear from them, you should ring them, as many times as needed.

Was this the red bottomed shoes ?  Red bottomed soles are copyrighted to Louboutin. 

Under no circumstances should any red soled shoes not by the designer that has copyright, be listed or sold anywhere, including eBay.

Message 3 of 43
Latest reply

Catspj's could be onto something here. Ebay seem to be increasing their vigilance towards pirated, branded products & breaches of selling policies of branded products. The Australian parliment is currently discussing the introduction of new laws which could see internet hosting websites and companies prosecuted and fined if their customers use the hosts services to breach trademark & copyright policies. ( Intillectual property ) . This is part of a push by the Aust. Govt. to clamp down on internet product piracy. The areas which are creating the greatest scrutiny are fashion & media ( illegal music & movie downloads ).

Message 4 of 43
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I did ask eBay about re-listing and they never replied, so I did go ahead, but no, it was actually for a pair of ray bans and I sent them a proof of purchse from sunglass hut when I asked about re-listing, but didn't recive a reply. I actually didn't get any notices or complains about the shoes and I honestly had no idea that "red bottoms" were copyright to louboutin becuase I've seen many red soles sold in stores before that were not from louboutin though they may have been an off-red signature colour?. That was my mistake. Your advice was helpful and I appriciate the reply. If i ever do get my restriction lifted I deffinelty wont be listing any look-a-likes or "inspired by" peices eep.

Message 5 of 43
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!

I have only ever listed swimwear that was still in its packaging but the buyer never paid and I had a friend who loved them so I gave them to her. I have sold things from other brands (Nike tee and some shoes, ASOS, new balance etc) but nothing that seems to violate the listing policies. I appricate your reply though as wel :). 

Message 6 of 43
Latest reply

Feel for you, its a very hard lesson to have learnt by having your account restricted. 

Its just a shame they do not seem to go after larger overseas sellers, like they do small Oz sellers.

Message 7 of 43
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

This does make sense too. I have not knowingly listed anything that was fake, only thing I can think of now would be the shoes which I was unware of at the time but which I now know such things should not be listed again in the future! I remember a seller was selling a bag and I wanted it and it was removed and I was advised that it was done so becuase eBay belived it was a fake even though the seller had purchsed it from ASOS but the seller had "inspired by celine" in the description and that was enough for eBay to act ("inspired" = pretty much a knockoff), so you guys are on to something. 

Thanks for replying, I realise now that I'm probably (partialy) in the wrong so its my own **bleep** fault ahhaa. I still would like to have known exactly why they done what they done so I could fix it and not leave me wondering but your answers are all making sense. 

Message 8 of 43
Latest reply

I also feel for you having an indefinate suspension. If the suspension was for a week first time, ( with detailed explanation of offence ) a month for second offence and indefinate for third, or something similar, it would allow honest sellers to adjust their behavior to meet ebay policy, without the heartache.

Message 9 of 43
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Indeed! I can sell in other areas (thankfully as I have some macbooks that need to go) but its not looking good for getting back to selling clothing as the way they worded that email was literally like 'you're never selling in this section again' eeek. I'll just be the bigger person here though. 

Annnd yes, couldn't agree more. I loved eBay becuase of the great exposure and you know that you can sell almost anything on here but it seems like they would rather have the massive wholesalers on here all pretty much selling the same things then the sellers who have good quality stock and who provide a little variety.

Message 10 of 43
Latest reply