Asked for cash on pick up but they paid by Paypal

I don't like being paid by PP for a pick up only, but they've just done it.

Nothing I can do really is there.   I mean Paypal has to be offered doesn't it.

Trouble is this buyer had previously tried to buy off ebay and I'd said can't be done as it was listed. .

Told her it needs collecting in a couple of days but no communication and she's got bad feedback.

Nothing to do is there.  But I'm in process of moving nd need the space.

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

What I have done in the past was to message saying it's safer for both buyer n seller to pay cash on pick up.

Therefore I have refunded your payment. Just pay cash when you come to pick up.

Some say, thank you I didn't know that.

But some buyers have a PayPal balance they want to use and in that case I tell them ok just repay in Paypal.

image host
Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

You may alienate a buyer because they may not have the cash. Paypal goes onto a credit card, or can.

You'd be amazed by how many people rely a lot on credit.

I'm guessing several buyers also think paypal gives them some protection & in some instances, it does.

I understand how it isn't so great for a seller.

First off, once it is paid, it puts a spanner in the works to some extent. A seller can say please pick up in 4 days or whatever but the buyer can just fob you off for ages. Then get their money back from paypal if it doesn't suit them to pick up.

Hope your transaction goes okay though.

Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

When they arrive to collect the item have a written statement prepared for them to sign.

Something like:

I have inspected and collected <item Name> and accepted it in the condition as seen and demonstrated.

Printed buyer's name:

Signed:

Dated:

by the buyer collecting the item or the agent collecting it on behalf of the buyer

If they will allow you to take a pic of their drivers licence do that too.

The above should protect you against any possible credit card chargeback (if they paid that way thru PayPal) or even INR ot INAD claims in the future.

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

Springy yes they do have the cash as they offered it to me 'outside' of the listing, just wanted to come and pick it up without going through ebay to which i said no. 

Clarry my probem is getting them to arrive or even respond, I i've told them it has to be picked up within 3 days of winning and no reply whatsoever. As I said I've since checked their feedback and it's riddled with Negs. 

What I'll do is refund their PP payment as Kopes suggests and suggest they collect with cash and by Wednesday. I rarely sell but I always seem to attract a nitwit.  

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

I would probably give them a week tops then cancel it if they don't show up.

If they do not respond to the cancellation request then you will have to wait 10-days for it to time out then you will get back your FVF.

Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

@bright.ton42 wrote:

Clarry my probem is getting them to arrive or even respond, I i've told them it has to be picked up within 3 days of winning and no reply whatsoever. As I said I've since checked their feedback and it's riddled with Negs

This suggests that they must be/have been a seller as well as only sellers can get NEGs.

But not a very good one either by the looks of it.

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

As an after thought...

If you refund via PayPal I'm not sure you will be credited your ebay FVF.

After you refund this check your fees account to see if you get credited.

If not, you will need to call ebay to get a manual fee credit. Bit of a pain.

PayPal will refund their portion via the refund, but not the 30-cent transaction fee.

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

@bright.ton42 wrote:

Springy yes they do have the cash as they offered it to me 'outside' of the listing, just wanted to come and pick it up without going through ebay to which i said no. 

Clarry my probem is getting them to arrive or even respond, I i've told them it has to be picked up within 3 days of winning and no reply whatsoever. As I said I've since checked their feedback and it's riddled with Negs. 

What I'll do is refund their PP payment as Kopes suggests and suggest they collect with cash and by Wednesday. I rarely sell but I always seem to attract a nitwit.  

Smiley WinkDon't we all at times!!

Some pick ups go like a dream but some 'buyers' need a kick up the proverbial. Sounds as if you've struck one. Maybe they think by paying they can make you wait forever now & just pick up at their convenience.

I know they offered to buy off ebay but I do wonder at times if some people who say these things or bid really do have the ready cash. I have had a couple of friends sell pick up items, only to have the buyers arrive and start offering much less or else just messaging to say they have changed their mind.Smiley Mad

Yes, you may be better to cancel their payment and suggest they collect by Wednesday.

Mind you, it just highlights a good little lurk doesn't it. Pay by paypal for a pick up item, decide at leisure & if you decide you don't want to bother after all, the seller will probably cancel the paypal & refund or if they don't you can  ring paypal & they will refund.

And either way, there is no way the buyer can get a strike against their name for non payment.

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

Well I've refunded them , told them they were impolite not to respond to me, and told them to pick up by tomorrow with cash or forget it.  A bit of a weirdo this one,    they offered me $25 'off' ebay, so I said to wait as it was againstg the rules, also that  they might get the opening bid of $20, which they did, and they bid    and won.    Then dead silence. 

It's worth paying the FVF just to be rid of them.  :Smiley Happy

I

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply