Australia Post! What a joke!

I sent an item with Australia post.  I had the choice of putting it in a satchel, but I thought it would be better bubble wrapped and placed in a box which cost me more money to do this, as I changed my mind last minute to do this, and only charged the buyer what it would cost to place in a satchel. 

The buyer received it today broken.  It was hard plastic item, and the item looks like it has been run over by a truck.

I am so unhappy with Australia post service as they have zero care factor with their items.

What gets me, is that eBay takes a commission of the item + postage, and then you post the item and it does not arrive in good order, and Australia post won't take responsibility for there every day service  yet we have to pay the price. We take the responsibility for ebay and Australia post, yet these two companies are Mammoth, and we are just the little people.

I know there is really nothing I can do, as I don't want a dispute, and I have refunded the buyer in full, and also asked the buyer to put in a claim at Australia post , which he may or may not do.

I am just having a winge, 

Tomorrow is a new day! And hopefully a better one!

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Ask your buyer to take photographs of the state the parcel arrived in. Australia Post will in some cases compensate. If you have items that may be considered breakable, fragile etc, I would purchase a roll of "Fragile" tape. I bought mine at Woolworths. That way if something does arrive broken I can show AP that the item was packaged in a secure manner.
Message 2 of 25
Latest reply

I can't remember if the sender lodges the claim for damaged items or the receiver. There's different rules for the various claims. If you don't get a satisfactory response from AP tell them you want to speak to a supervisor.
Message 3 of 25
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

If you want the buyer to make a claim on AP they will have to take the item with the packaging to their post office for inspection and to get the form to make the claim.

It is unlikely that the buyer will co-operate now that you have refunded their money......you should have asked them to take it to the PO before your refunded..

Message 4 of 25
Latest reply

The buyer  is lovely. He has sent me photo's and said he will go to Australia post to put in a claim.

He has also left me wonderful feedback.

I don't think I will get far with Aus Post.   This item was a hard item to break.  It is not a fragile.  It was hard plastic wine cooler. He received it with a massive hole/ crack.  It seriously looks it had been stepped on or a 20 kg item has been thrown on it.

I'm just having one of those days.  You think you do the right thing.  I label my items as Fragile and when insured "Insured" plus I take photo's of insured items!

Message 5 of 25
Latest reply

It is a nice change to have a co-operative buyer....it is very different to a lot of the sellers who are being taken for a ride by their buyers.

I am afraid you might be right about not getting anywhere with AP.  Firstly they do not have a Fragile service any more, and secondly the item is supposed to be packed sufficiently well to withstand 20kgs being dropped on it from a height.

But you never can tell....so much depends on what the local postmaster puts in his condition report when he inspects it.

Message 6 of 25
Latest reply

For future reference , Australia Post do not offer a fragile service , they Will NOT acknowledge them.

i was told by a worker at one of the sorting centers , fragile labels are like a big red flag to a bull, Australia post will not compensate any more unless insurance is actually paid for. Man Sad

best bet is always to pack items for the worst possible scenario

Message 7 of 25
Latest reply

It's called Russian Roulette! I package extremely well and my fragile items are safe enough to be thrown but to have 20kgs tossed on it, well I don't think too many things would survive that one including me loll
Message 8 of 25
Latest reply

From working in the Transport Industry I can assure you that Fragile Stickers tend to give some workers something to aim for when they kick it across a depot. 

Message 9 of 25
Latest reply

sadly, you've learnt the hard way its better to wear a little extra in post to package sufficiently, - and even then its like russian roulette.

one postage worker told me to package with no room to move.  so when I packed some glassware extremely carefully, one glass still broke - likely because they said bubblewrap has been known to expand in the parcel delivers hot van and crack glass items......arghhggg!!

- your buyer may win the claim, only if it can be proved it was packaged sufficiently.

Message 10 of 25
Latest reply