Australia Post safe drop parcel not received

I've just received a message from a buyer (via my selling account) claiming they haven't received their parcel... After checking the tracking it's showing as being delivered with safe drop on 5th Dec.

It's a $200 + item. I offered postage with SOD & postage without SOD. Both choices included insurance. The buyer chose the postage without SOD. I printed the label via click & send as it was a 5kg satchel & I didn't see anywhere on C&S to offer safe drop.

Does anybody know what happens if the buyer decides to open an INR dispute... am I covered as a seller?

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

If the tracking shows as delivered then you should win an INR dispute, but you may have to put your foot down with eBay. If the buyer does open a dispute make sure you upload the tracking number and any other relevant details. For a $200 item I would have only offered SOD.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

Agree with tippy, only SOD. It's for your safety, not what the buyer wants.

Insist on it with pricey items.

image host
Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

Thanks Guys... I added the insurance to cover myself as a seller just in case the item got lost or broken in transit... I've read on the boards Aus Post only pay compensation if items have extra cover...

I'll message the buyer with tracking info... & wait n see what happens. Just hope the parcel wasn't left in plain view & has been stolen !

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

If a parcel does not require a signature it can be safe dropped by the contractor/courier/postman.

As it is showing as being delivered you will probably be covered by seller protection.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

Also, as it scans as being safe dropped there should be a photograph on file with AP....ask them where it was dropped so you can tell the buyer.     Or tell the buyer to contact AP to ask where it was left.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

I had a seller contact me a month after purchase, stating that their item hadn't arrived. Tracking showed that it had.

I sent a replacement item anyway (only a $5 item, worth that much not to cop a neg) - buyer got in touch a week or two later: the replacement had arrived, and they'd discovered that the postie had safe-dropped the original one in a spot they hadn't thought to look...

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

I had a similar thing. Buyer opened an INR 6 weeks after I posted. She had a PO box in a small town and the tracking showed as delivered. I told her she would lose a dispute as the tracking showed as delivered. I also suggested she check with her PO. They said it must have been put in the wrong PO box, but remembered the parcel.

She closed the case and left negative feedback. I had been in touch with eBay throughout the course of the dispute (via email) and I sent them another email requesting the neg to be removed and shock horror, it was gone 20 minutes later VIA EMAIL. I noticed after the fact that she had bought from one of my other account previously and I'd had no problems, but that account has way more feedback than this one. I wasn't sure if maybe she was trying it on with a "new" seller.

I refuse to bribe people into not leaving negs. They are a coloured dot on a screen. They aren't going to dictate my life. If they leave them, they leave them. A neg on that account would have made me look bad as at that point I only had about 5 feedback, but I still wasn't that worried. I could have just ditched that account and created a new one if it affected my sales.

I've had 2 negs on my main account and it didn't affect sales at all. I think the fact that it was my error and I admitted it was my fault in the reply made a big difference. As I said on another thread, most buyers don't care about negative feedback in a lot of cases. However, if they see a seller abusing the buyer, calling them a thief or a scammer, it doesn't give them much confidence in that seller. If a seller leaves a professional reply, taking responsibility if it's their fault, it gives buyers the confidence that if they encounter an issue, it will be dealt with professionally.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

I've messaged the buyer & still waiting for a reply. Thanks again everyone for your replies 🙂

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

The buyer needs to contact AusPost so they can investigate. Since it's "delivered", you the sender no longer have authority or ownership of the parcel. AusPost will only discuss things with the recipient once it's delivered.
Message 10 of 14
Latest reply