Australia Post sorting machine problems

aurellian
Community Member
60 REPLIES 60

I agree there are problems at the sorting facilities, and been going on for a few months now.

Two separate packages sent Melbourne Metro in January were broken in transit, 6 days apart.  (Before anyone jumps in, when it's Melb. Metro, I don't care how BIG the box is as it doesn't alter postage cost, and I can really stuff shredded paper in for protection.) 

Posted a box from Melb to Sydney on 9th April.  Still in transit somewhere.  AP investigation opened on 16th. No answers yet.

Purchased item on Monday, posted on Tuesday  morning - took 3 days to get from Croydon to Narre Warren PO, for delivery today.  It only takes 35 minutes by car!!!  

Of the 'five different add-on IT systems, which do not function well together' I wonder if one of them is the tracking scanner, as it seems there are a lot (read heaps, as commented on these boards!!),  that are only being scanned at the lodgement PO, and then nothing after that.  To me that is unacceptable given the amount of money we have to fork out for postage to AP, who say they provide a tracking service which is spadmodic at best.

Message 11 of 61
Latest reply

@joethenuts wrote:

hi  thats is going to be a bit hard ,when they are complaining there profits are way down due to peole not sending as many letters and they are going to put prices way up plus cut the days they are going to deliver , and you want them to pay overtime to staff on a sunday , I dont think so  but miracles do happen , my local postoffice has less staff there  now and have instaleed stupid do it yourself machines in them , coukd you imagine putting a parcel down those those shoots and not break whats inside the parcel,mmmm 

If the contents of your parcel are likely to break when the parcel goes through the chute then it probably isn't packed well enough.

Message 12 of 61
Latest reply

sorry my mistake mr brick , i dont use aust post for parcels , what I mean is ,its not how well you pack your parcel its how heavy and well the person after you packs his parcel , with about  a 1 meter drop aprox .ouch.  I think it would be safer and wiser over the counter

Message 13 of 61
Latest reply

@bigbrickshop wrote:

@joethenuts wrote:

hi  thats is going to be a bit hard ,when they are complaining there profits are way down due to peole not sending as many letters and they are going to put prices way up plus cut the days they are going to deliver , and you want them to pay overtime to staff on a sunday , I dont think so  but miracles do happen , my local postoffice has less staff there  now and have instaleed stupid do it yourself machines in them , coukd you imagine putting a parcel down those those shoots and not break whats inside the parcel,mmmm 

If the contents of your parcel are likely to break when the parcel goes through the chute then it probably isn't packed well enough.

All the overpaid executives should get a barcode and be put down the chute and sent somewhere else to stuff things up, with a fragile sticker of course.

Message 14 of 61
Latest reply

@heihachi_73 wrote:
Sounds like the post processing will now lag 4-5 days behind, once the stamps jump to $1. And we still get no mail on the weekend* a year after the UK (Royal Mail) says they will deliver on Sundays...

Aside from some parcels which can now be given a special Saturday sticker, for an extra cost, of course. Naturally, it only applies to Express Post no less, meaning $$$.

First world problems indeed, when will Australia grow out of the antiquated Monday to Friday routine? If we can have 24 hour McDonald's restaurants, even remaining open throughout Easter, surely the post office can afford to stay open for all of four hours on a Sunday. The fact they are only open until 1PM on a Saturday is already a joke in itself.

I don't know where you are but I have been receiving parcels on Saturday since well before Christmas...not just the extra deliveries during December.

I pay no more for them and the sellers are not putting any extra postage on either.....and they are not Express Post.

Our PO has been open on Saturday morning for as long as I can remember.....and I have lived here for over 40 years.

Personally I can not see any reason that the PO needs to open on Sunday although it would be great if all POs were open on Saturday morning.  There must be a lot of people who have difficulty getting to a PO during the week.

Message 15 of 61
Latest reply

Don't know of any AP owned/run POs that are open on a Saturday (except in December).  Only ones I have ever seen open Saturdays are AP agencys and they are usually located in shopping centres and do not do deliveries of anything.  All deliveries in my area come direct from the area sorting centre at Frenchs Forest and if not delivered (always carded and never actually delivered even when at home) dumped at the relevant PO for collection.

Message 16 of 61
Latest reply

@5kazam wrote:

I agree there are problems at the sorting facilities, and been going on for a few months now.

Two separate packages sent Melbourne Metro in January were broken in transit, 6 days apart.  (Before anyone jumps in, when it's Melb. Metro, I don't care how BIG the box is as it doesn't alter postage cost, and I can really stuff shredded paper in for protection.) 

Posted a box from Melb to Sydney on 9th April.  Still in transit somewhere.  AP investigation opened on 16th. No answers yet.

Purchased item on Monday, posted on Tuesday  morning - took 3 days to get from Croydon to Narre Warren PO, for delivery today.  It only takes 35 minutes by car!!!  

Of the 'five different add-on IT systems, which do not function well together' I wonder if one of them is the tracking scanner, as it seems there are a lot (read heaps, as commented on these boards!!),  that are only being scanned at the lodgement PO, and then nothing after that.  To me that is unacceptable given the amount of money we have to fork out for postage to AP, who say they provide a tracking service which is spadmodic at best.

Just had a parcel take 4 days to go from one side of metro Melbourne to the other.

No scan taken at processing centre.

New Picture.jpg

Message 17 of 61
Latest reply

Thats some sweet delivery times. Australia POst should be so proud. What willl they do when all the other guys start ramping up the service.....

Message 18 of 61
Latest reply

Hopefully they transposrt coal or something

Message 19 of 61
Latest reply

I feel I must come to Aust.Post defence just this once as a miracle has occurred with one of my sent items.It was posted in red mailbox(as we have had flooding here and P.O was closed no power)on the 22nd at 4pm at Raymond Terrace near Newcastle NSW,processed at centre at 5.06am on the 23rd and delivered to Miners Rest 3352 VIC at 12pm same day.I am utterly speechless haha.I posted a birthday card to my daughter who lives 2 hours away on the same day and she is yet to receive it.Go figure.

Message 20 of 61
Latest reply