Australian Post shipping general discussion

I'm new to this selling bizz. I am confused about shipping. Can anyone from Australia explain how to ship items? what is the best/cheapest/more effecient way I can ship/package items?... I am mostly selling clothes

I accidently printed a shipping label from eBay and I cancelled it (oops. now, I'll have to wait 25 days)

How exactly do I ship/package packages? I need step-by-step instructions

If I did print the SHIPPING LABEL off eBay, can I just go in and grab a Parcel satchel thing for free? or do I have to pay for another one? Can I grab the 500g parcel satchel thing for free or do I have to use my "own" packaging (confused about this too)?

And what's the deal with poly bags? 

which is the best options for used/reselling clothes- auction/buy it now? Any tips?

How do I go about shipping internationally? which option is the best? I am randomly selecting the Auspost International Registered Mail

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I suggest you read the site map about selling.

To use the eBay 500g postage labels you need to purchase 500g eBay satchels from Australia Post. You can't just use any satchel you feel like. And the ones you get from the Post Office are prepaid and run about $8.30. or by 'grab' do you mean 'steal'?

if you need step-by-step instructions for something that simple I suggest you might not be cut out to be a seller.

Do you want us to package your items? Pay the postage for you? Do your listings?

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

The cheapest way to post clothes under 500g is to use the ebay branded satchels (you buy them on ebay) and use the print postage option, it costs you $7.15 which is added to your ebay bill, the satchels are a few cents, the more you buy the cheaper they are.

Next is your own packaging, that costs $7.45 and you have to write out the address etc and take it to the PO. It does not have as great a degree of protection as they ebay satchels but pretty close.

Next is buying a 500g prepaid satchel which is, I believe, just over $8, I don't know without looking as I never use them.

For between 500g and 1kg it will depend what the dimensions of the parcel are and where it is going, if it is closr to home it may be cheaper to use your own packaging.

Over 1kg up to 3kg it is again cheapest to use the ebay satchels.

I always put items in a zip lock plastic bag just in case the satchel or whatever gets ripped.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Initially, until you get the hang of selling, just buyer the 500g satchels from AP as you need them. If you start off using the eBay labels, you might get a nasty shock at the end of the month when your bill comes in! Unless you make an eBay payment after you print each label.

You still need to get a lodgement scan at the post office when you post, so start off buying satchels as you need them. I think if you buy them in bulk you can get a bit cheaper.

As for auction or BIN, it's really up to you. If you decide on auctions, set your start price at the lowest amount you want to get for each item. Most of the time you'll only get one bid, so a big waste of time and money if you list for 99c. If you want to use satchels, work out how much AP charges for them and then add 11% onto that and charge that as your postage rate. That way the buyer is paying for the postage fee that eBay charges.

When you are setting your price, remember to add a bit extra onto the start price to cover eBay's fees. May as well make the buyer pay them!

If you're selling second hand clothes, take LOTS of photos. You don't have to have them all in your listing, but make sure you've got photos of everything. Make sure you photograph and mention any faults, even if it's a tiny pulled thread in the hem or a tiny spot somewhere.

I would also read up on the eBay money back guarantee as being a clothing seller, there will be buyers who want to try it on with you. Some people will buy something for an event, wear it, then have no further use for it, so try to claim not as described. If you don't give into their demands, eBay will refund them and let them keep the item.

Spend plenty of time reading through the help pages to learn all you can about selling before you start. Also ask questions on here as there is a wealth of knowledge from some very experienced sellers.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Clothing is the hardest thing to sell on ebay.

You're looking for INAD claims if you don't put actual measurements

of everything in your listings.

Doesn't matter if it says size M. Or size 8.   What size is that?

A buyer will break the zip trying on something that is too small, then claim INAD

Posters on here will tell you horror stories about clothing buyers

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

pautr_18
Community Member

VRL logistics tracking is best option

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Six years ago?

Op hasn't logged into the boards in over 4 years. so they will neither see nor act on your insight.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply