Australian postage fees

I called eBay today to clarify fees, despite the set cost by weight 500 g 1 kg , 3 kg of postage bags, eBay informed me thy will charge 9.9% of this as a final value fee. Then advised to add 9.9% as handling charges! This seems pretty unfair to the buyer or me whoever
absorbs the cost.
I have never charged anymore than the post office charge me, and eBay are levering 10% from Australia post . Any ideas ?
Message 1 of 41
Latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

Australian postage fees

ebay are finding more inventive ways of gathering $$$... seems incredible that they can charge a commision on a service they are NOT providing!! Lets face it, Australia Post is the one providing the service...

ebay's way of getting more sellers to offer FREE postage.

You need to class it as an overheads and work that cost into your product listings. I agree it does seem unfair, however what choice do we have a/ absorb the cost ourselves b/ work it into the product cost

ebay charging % on overseas postage is going to cause a few sellers to cease sending globally. I know I am reconsidering.

Message 2 of 41
Latest reply

Australian postage fees

Do ebay refund the % when postage is refunded, I have asked them on this subject and never received a reply

Message 3 of 41
Latest reply

Australian postage fees

Thanks for your reply, thought I must have got it wrong at first, but it seems to be true! It isn't good for all us honest sellers !
Message 4 of 41
Latest reply

Australian postage fees

I don't think they do. I only noticed the fee hikes in my invoices ,after the new policy may this year apparently. Makes it not worth selling .
Message 5 of 41
Latest reply

Australian postage fees

cq_tech
Community Member
Apart from the fact that what eBay are doing is unconscionable, they've also given you incorrect information. If they're taking a 9.9% cut of the postage component, you actually need to increase the postage price by 11% in order to break even. If you only add on 9.9% you'll still be losing money.

e.g. $10 + 9.9% = $10.99 - 9.9% = $9.90 (IOW, you lose 10c).

or $10 + 11% = $11.10 - 9.9% = $10 (so by adding 11% you now break even).
Message 6 of 41
Latest reply

Australian postage fees

But then U have to add the Paypal commission on the postage tax charged by eBay.  

I have found that if U multiply your postage by 1.15, it comes out approximately correct:  if the postage is $7.20 + the cost of your packaging (including the cost of a satchel) x 1.15

Message 7 of 41
Latest reply

Australian postage fees

Thanks for the advice. I don't feel good about this at allow its sneaky to the buyer.
Message 8 of 41
Latest reply

Australian postage fees

That happened back on May 5.

Message 9 of 41
Latest reply

Australian postage fees

I asked them an finally got an anwer, you have to claim it along with the buyer ID, Paypal refund#, item # ETC,ETC,

i have to do a back claim from May 5th 2014 when this BS came in. So far i am unable to find out where to email my big list

to. Typical rip us up and dont help us just hinder us

Message 10 of 41
Latest reply