Best option for posting; printed labels but don't have satchel

So this is such a noob mistake, but I don't have any ebay satchels as I thought I could buy them from the post office. I swear I have seen them at a post office before, perhaps a few years ago, so was planning on picking some up tomorrow. I was going to order some online last week but decided not to because I figured it would be easier to get some from the post office. 

Anyway, cut to now, after I have printed the labels (not physically as I don't have a printer here, but I've saved the labels as pdfs to print out tomorrow at officeworks), and I realise that I should have ordered the satchels online. So dumb, I know. What would my best option be now? Do I cancel the labels and try to work out some other option for posting, or do I just buy the non-ebay satchels from the post office? I saw something about using my own packaging; would the cheap satchels from kmart/officeworks/etc be suitable? 

Also, just for curiosity sake, were the ebay satchels ever sold in physical stores? I swear I remember them in a post office at some point.

Thanks (and please don't judge me for how stupid I was lol)

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

The eBay branded satchels I'm pretty sure you can only buy online, but if the package is <500g the own packaging price is (from memory) about 10c or 20c difference, and the packaging can be anything that's suitable (I don't ship a lot of parcels, so my apologies for being a bit vague Smiley Embarassed but I do use my own packaging most of the time when I do ). 

The eBay labels are meant to be used exclusively with the satchels, but I do know that in the past, some sellers have made similar errors and affixed one to a parcel with own packaging, without issue.... (I can't guarantee that will always be true, just that I've never heard of it causing a problem).  

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

In this situation I would send the parcel in your own packaging that is consistent with satchel sizes.

There is little difference between eBay prices and Aust Post own pricing for sending in your own packaging for regular post - for example the difference between eBay 500g satchels and sending via AP with your own packaging price is approx 0.30c

IMO the worst that will happen is that you may be sent an underpaid bill for the approx .30c owing = but I do think this is highly unlikely,  as AP have  allowed in the recent past different branded satchels to be used to send other post in same weight range ( for example when they ran out of AP branded satchels recently AP advised users to use eBay satchels instead).

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

Thanks guys.

I don't do a tonne of selling here (I have previously on an old account, but we did the shipping through our business so I wasn't so concerned about it), but I have some more things to list and things that don't end until next week, so I've ordered some satchels for those ones and will package the three I have to send in my own packaging. 

I was actually freaking out, I don't know why, because I knew it wasn't a big deal. Clearly I've had too much caffeine today.

Thanks again

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply